SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjblock_gw

Just got 1st draft of plans. How many is typical? (m)

kjblock
12 years ago

Fairly new here. Hubby and I are in the planning stages to build in Upstate NY. We met with a designer (whose husband is a structural engineer and stamps the plans) and gave her a lot of into--plans we like (Field of Dreams farmhouse) plus the modifications we'd like to make. Also gave her a ton of pictures that I've gathered from others who have built the same or modification of the same house.

I have to say I am a bit disappointed that she didn't get it more "right" based on all that info. She changed some things we didn't want changed and didn't understand some things we thought we were very explicit about.

Is this normal for the first draft, no matter how well you try to prep the designer? How many drafts are typical to go through?

One example is that we asked to try to put a small walk-in closet in for our daughter's room. We were thinking 5x5 (which is the size of our current closet and seems good for one person). She made that closet more like 8x8 and drastically cut down the size of the master closet instead (to be much less than in the original plans and not that much bigger than the one in our daughter's room)!

I will post for feedback soon once I can get the plans scanned or linked. I was just hoping to hear that this is normal, so that I don't feel bummed at the need to obviously do more drafts and give the designer more info.

Thanks!

Comments (11)