SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrieann0413

My 1st garden, many questions

carrieann0413
14 years ago

I want to give gardening a try this year. I was given 2 tomato plants last year and ended up buying a green pepper plant and just put them in the ground to prior planning. I had no intention of gardening but it was a gift so why not. Well it went really well. the tomatoes did great and the peppers did ok. So I thought why not try and grow some other veggies we like. I have no experience gardening and am basically just reading what I can find on how to do everything. I am a mom of 2 young girls and they want to help. My 4 yr old helped pick out what she wants to grow. Based on space available in my yard and having kids running around out there and lots of family cook outs I have decided on a squarefoot garden and want to go with a raised bed. I have been going back and forth on what materials to use to build the raised bed with. I don't want any kind of treated lumber or plastic/vinyl due to chemicals. I don't like the idea of untreated wood or even cedar because I will still need to replace it more often than I would like and I am worried about inviting termites to my yard. Not to far north of me the homes are known to have termites. I though of using bales of hay to get away from chemicals, termites, etc... but then I would have to rebuild the bed every year. My final thought it to use cinderblocks (concrete blocks), the kind that are about 16 in long and have the two hollow areas in them. My only concern with these is I have read that the concrete can change the ph of my soil and I will have to start testing it and adjusting ph (in theory this should be easy but I never assume) and I am concerned that I will be created a great hiding place for slugs. Will slugs be a big problem?

Now on to my plant questions. Sorry this is so long, if you are still with me, thanks! Here is the list of things we would like to grow either in the square foot raised bed or if needed somewhere else in the yard or in a container. I have no idea if there are rules as to what you plant close together, if some plants attract more pests than others or anything like that so I am looking for any advice/suggestions on anything I am planning on here.

Tomatoes (I already started the seeds indoors) I plan to transplant 1 of each into the garden...

*super steak tomato or maybe a roma (I know very different tomato but I love romas I will give whichever plant I dont want to my mom

*summers choice slicing tomatoes

* salad mix tomatoes (small like cherry tomatoes)

*bush beans

*straight eight cucumbers

*green/red pepper mix

*carnival mix peppers

*broccoli

*carrots

*sugar baby watermelon (my 4 yr old had to have these seeds)

I plan to put up some kind of trellis on the north side of bed for beans, cucumbers and tomatoes but I can only put 4 plants there if I stick the my plan of a 4x4 bed. Unless I can put more than 1 tomato plant in one square (anyone know if I can?)

Will the watermelon be ok in the bed? Should it have a trellis or something or will the melons just stay on the ground? I could plant this out of the bed if it would be easier. That still leaves me with a few open squares, I thought maybe I would add some herbs on the south and east edge of the bed. Oh and I have no clue what to expect from my broccoli. How many "heads" will I get from one plant? one at a time? trying to determine how many to plant to feed a family of 4 who love broccoli.

If I forgot anything let me know. Looking for guidance. Thank you for reading.

Comments (16)