SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

How Do You Manage When Bathroom is Out of Commission?

Laurie
11 years ago

Hello again!

So, between yesterday and today, 5 more tiles fell off the wall of my 1915 bathroom. Ok, well maybe, the tiles are from the 30's or 40's to be fair lol. I'll add that to the growing pile plus all the missing mosaic floor tiles too.

All I know is that after living here for 2 years and watching the bathroom crumble before my eyes I'm getting more and more disgusted with it daily. How I'm going to finance it is one problem but the other issue is how we're going to live through it.

We do have a powder room on the 1st floor so at least there is another toilet in the house, but, no other place to shower.

How on earth are we going to be able to contend with this? The room most likely needs to be completely gutted unless I can find someone seriously creative to find a way to keep as much as possible of the existing as far as the walls are concerned so that it is more of a remodel - and that would mean keeping the shower (separate from the tub). But as I've written, the shower stall is rather constrictive and while we could live with it, if I'm spending all that money why on earth would I not make it better?

So, I'm just curious how other people dealt with having their bathrooms out of service, most especially if it was the main bathroom. I suppose we could go live in a hotel temporarily but that adds quite a bit of cost although we could just take the room as needed to shower I guess?

Ugh. Seems so problematic! Really wish I had just done this before we moved in when the kitchen was being done too. Really would have been smarter, but the bathroom *seemed* like it was usable at that point. Things went from passable to worse since. Blah.

Comments (14)