SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Do all Microwaves Die?

sayde
15 years ago

It seems commonplace that microwave ovens do not last more than a few years. And yet, the Advantium and Miele Speed Cook ovens (and others) combine microwave with halogen or radiant. And unllke simple Microwave ovens, these "speed ovens" cost $1700 and up. Is the microwave function in the Advantium and the Miele somehow more sturdy than whatever you get in the typical Sharp or Panasonic?????

Comments (39)

• clinresga
    15 years ago

Hey: not all MW die!
    Amazingly, my parents are still using the ultracheap MW they gave me as a present when I started my internship 24 years ago. Little dial you twist to turn it on, and an actual bell that rings when it's done. All mechanical (maybe that's why it's indestructible).

• fandlil
    15 years ago

We got our Panasonic in 1985, and it's still going strong.

• Related Discussions

help all seedlings die every time! indoor grow

Q

Comments (3)
    They are being kept too wet, causing 'damping off', which kills the plant. You need to water from the bottom, ie set the pot in a saucer, fill the saucer with water, let sit for 15 minutes and then dump off the unused water. Allow to dry out a day or two before watering again - sometimes, it's a week between waterings. Your soil should have some grit mixed into it, in the form of sand or perilite - this will allow the new roots to dry out and allow oxygen to reach them. You have to check them every day to see what they need - they're like babies - need constant attention. I believe it's worth every penny to buy already-established plants.
    ...See More

die fungus gnat die-die-die!!!

Q

Comments (14)
    Re: hemnancy I think I also got infested from a plant that came from outside. I wanted to see if I could get pomegranate to grow from seed off of a store bought pomegranate back in November. I also tossed in a Brandywine seed or two from a seed packet that I purchased at the grocery store at the same time (November). Three poms and one BW sprouted. So far, I've been able to keep all the plants alive all winter by bringing them into the garage on cold nights and letting them out in sun during days above 40 degrees. The BW is a short, stubby plant that I've become attached to and I really want the poms as the plants cost at least $40 at the nurseries that I've been able to find them at. Anyway, sometime last fall, the pot that all these plants sit in became infested and that infestation has spread to my Jiffy peat pellets and a couple of seed trays. Re: ekgrows I bought a can of flying insect killer. It's not as organic as your method, but if become a problem, it is an option to me. Also, I've purchased the mosquito dunks and put a chunk of one in a spray bottle and wet down all my pellets with it. I know that it's too soon to tell if it is working, but since last night, I've seen one gnat that I smashed with my finger. I plan on starting to move the peat pellets to peat pots now that I have a method of control. I plan on spraying the inside of the pots using the spray bottle, spray down the potting mix that I'll use and cover the entire thing with sand. I'm thinking that this one-two-punch approach should be effective. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
    ...See More

Do all microwaves open the same direction?

Q

Comments (6)
    I remembered that this was discussed on the appliances forum, so I searched. It's an old link, but there are some more recent responses. Here is the link: Here is a link that might be useful: Microwave door options thread
    ...See More

Can A Tree Planted Too Deep Die All Of The Sudden?

Q

Comments (8)
    Joshua, I'd like to answer your question directly: yes, trees can die suddenly. They can also die very soon after being planted too deeply. I'd have to say that it is the number one reason for decline and death in trees, at least in my career. Some years ago, I was called out to the large property of a high end retail complex, not a mall. The tree and landscaping installations were extensive, even extraordinary. I was called by the CEO to inspect the site about two months after completion of the job. The majority of the large trees were in serious trouble....after two months! The plants had all been planted anywhere from 6 to 8 inches below grade into a soil that stayed too mucky, too wet....especially at that depth. Tree roots must have oxygen at that shallow root zone...or they can die. Most of us know that the essential absorbing roots of trees are shallow. Planting too deeply impedes the development of new roots. So, the decline process can begin immediately and end swiftly......or a tree can languish for years before finally croaking. Trees that have been installed that deeply have been planted improperly, plain and simple.
    ...See More
  • bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

My mom's panasonic circa 1985 was working ok until I got her a new one this year. It had about 3 watts of power so it took 5 minutes to do what my newer MWs could do in a minute and a half. My Whirlpool, purchased in 2001, was also going fine until I decided I wanted a new one for new kitchen this year. OTOH, a built-in MW/wall oven that came with the house, by Magic Chef or Tappan, conked out after about 12 years.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

yeah, my experience is that microwaves NEVER die. all the ones i've ever had seem to last forever and we only end up replacing them because they're huge or we start to worry that they're unsafe or something.

i've only ever owned panasonic MW's, btw.

• pggirl
    15 years ago

Mixed results for us. Parents bought a microwave when they first came out. We took it to England and used it on a transformer (anyone old enough to remember those?) and then brought it back with us. Just did not stop working. Finally sold it as it was huge and bought another. Been through two since.

On our side, when we moved into our home the system was set up for an over the range microwave. We put in stainless appliances and purchase a stainless microwave for over the range. Cost us over $500 (not much compared to the budget of some here, but was huge for our budget at the time). Lasted until it was just out of the everything covered part of the warranty. Then when we called we found out that it was not "free parts and labour", but rather "three parts and labour" that were covered. Could not believe my ears. What a play on words and from a major supplier too! Needless to say they gave us the name of their service rep and out he came. Charged us over $100 for the visit to say it was not working. Did not even take the front panel off. Just put some water in and ran it a minute and listed off an entire microwaves worth of parts it needed. Only thing did not list was the case and turn table. Complained to the manufacturer about it and the customer service rep (before I could even finish my sentence) said nothing to do with them and we'd have to take their authorized repair person to small claims court if we wanted to do anything about it.

Learned a good lesson there. Cost of the parts and labour, not including the three covered, came to over $300. Took the microwave (yes, checked it was not a fuse) and heaved it in the bin I was so mad.

So, no confidence in microwaves here. Burned once and not again. Just finished our remodel of the kitchen with a significantly increased budget this time (36 all gas convection range, convection wall oven, commercial style vent, stone and stainless counters, etc. etc.) and when it came to the microwave we went and found a cheapo $70 stainless fronted one that we used that is working fine for us. Only our opinion of course, but we felt for our use defrosting something quick or warming a plate up or doing a quick potato it was not worth putting the big money in a microwave or buying a combo where the microwave could go out and you are stuck with a half functioning piece of equipment. Besides, and again this is just our use and view point, at $70 or so we can burn up over 7 of them for the price of the one that lasted barely over a year we paid $500 for.
    Cheers

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

I had a built-in MW in my last home. Never again! It was so expensive at about $300, and such a rip-off. The MW trim kit, as someone in another thread pointed out, is just a few strips of metal, and the manufacturer is charging $150-200 just for that. And then I go into Target and see a countertop MW, just as good, for like, $79, and then maybe for $150 a MW with all the good stuff like sensor cook, multiple timers, keep-warm feature, stage cooking, etc. etc. Plus, my built-in MW died after about 3 years, but before that the rotating thingy stopped working, so that nothing rotated when cooked, and therefore cooked unevenly. But to replace it was an even bigger PITA! Cause you see, 3 years after buying the first one, a MW with those same dimensions was no longer available, and it was nearly impossible to replace the built-in with another built-in cause the sizes had changed. We jerry-rigged something but it was WAY too much trouble. Nope, now my MW in my current kitchen is on an open shelf in my cabinetry. If it breaks, or I simply want to change it for one with the latest features, I unplug the old one, and plug in the new one. Finished. I like that!

(P.S. I think all the people reporting MW's with long lives are for those MW's built many years ago. The new ones have built-in obsolescence so that manufacturers can keep selling more of them- my little conspiracy theory LOL!)

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What about the microwave function in an expensive multifunction oven like the Miele Masterchef Speedcook or the GE Advantium? Should I worry?

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

Sayde - I think people in this thread are responding to your question in your subject title, which is a little different from your question in your message. Also, perhaps the SpeedCook and Advantiums haven't been around long enough for people to know the answer. Maybe you could post a new thread, but entitle it more specifically, like "Long-term reliability of Speedcooks and Advantiums?" or something along those lines. Not sure if people will know the answer yet though.

• ya_think
    15 years ago

shannon - I think you are right but I would like to respond to the general line of this thread.

My experience and understanding is that yes, microwaves can last a very long time but the magnatrons get weaker with age. So when a new 1200W MW heats something in 30 seconds and your 15 year old 1200W MW does it in 2 minutes, that is not because of new technology, it is because of the new magnatrons.

Therefore I would specifically disagree with a prior poster's assertion that "They're like lightbulbs. They're fine until they're not."

• kaseki
    15 years ago

I have a Litton cook center (combination range and microwave oven) purchased around 1970 that still operates.

kas

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Our 1976 microwave in the rental died last week. Yes it too 3 mins to heat a cup of water, but it did still work :) It was also a browner/broiler microwave.

• coffeehaus
    15 years ago

When our 2000 GE Spacemaker OTR MW ($400 new) stopped working in 2005, we just had the magnatron replaced ($40 part plus $50 for labor/pickup/delivery) and it's as good as new. Just because the MW stops working doesn't mean that it can't be repaired.

• nycjsw
    15 years ago

My Monogram microwave/convection oven had the magnetron go out after 1.5 years of very little use. I've searched the net and found some problems with magnetrons going out on these things more often then you would think. Could it be that the older microwaves were built better and the newer models have cheaper parts? No, that couldn't be the case:)

• jakkom
    15 years ago

Newer ones won't last longer because they've fallen to "commodity" levels. When I can buy a microwave in 2008 to replace my 1997 model and pay LESS for it, it's in the "when it breaks, toss it" category.

Now the expensive Advantiums et.al. - I've often wondered how long they're going to last. But only time will tell us!

• berryberry
    15 years ago

Well my parents have one that must be close to 40 years old - Amana - Still going strong

I on the other hand have had problems with GE microwaves. GE is crap. Last GE I had lasted about 18 months.

I now have a panasonic and will not by another GE.

• nycjsw
    15 years ago

I think my Monogram was almost $1,800 with the built in trim piece. Since my first post Monogram has been great. They are waving the initial service charge and overnighted me the magnetron. So I won't have to hear the repairman say "I'll have to order that part". At first they were saying that the initial service charge would be $90 but would be applied to any labor charge. So the sticking point might be when the guy installs the part and says "that will be $125". Obviously I'm going to say "you mean $35" b/c of my $90 credit????????

• nycjsw
    15 years ago

my service call with Monogram ended badly today so I'm now thinking that their calls might get routed differently depending on volume?? My part was under warranty and took about 20 minutes to replace. They wanted to charge me $320 labor and were only willing to drop the $89.99 service call charge. I was not informed of the labor cost until the fix was made (a very easy part to install - 4 screws and a plug). I called Monogram and was told by the rep that "you own a monogram appliance what did you think the charge would be". Anyway, multiple calls and request to speak with a manager went no where. Each rep claimed they could handle it and they don't bump calls up to a higher level. I refused to pay for the service (I would pay but not the $240 amount). The rep left and Monogram stated they would send me to collections if I refused to pay. I'm going to follow up but think that charging so much to repair a warranted item that is so easy to replace is criminal. I've also read and heard from GE that the magnetrons in GE microwaves are faulty and have a lot of problems. My microwave/oven combo costs about $1,800 and is about 1 1/2 years old. Those are the facts.

• sjerin
    15 years ago

Aren't these stories just disgusting?? I think the manufacturers have gotten used to the idea that they can sell dressed-up carp and not stand behind their products, because everyone is doing it and consumers have no choice but to accept it. I'm beginning to see a pattern in most appliances here..... Our Sharp mw is 19 years old and runs like a top, of course. I had been thinking about ge monogram appliances but between this post and the refrigerator post, I won't touch them. The problem is, what will work for more than a couple years?? Regulations and oversight, anyone?? Oops, too political.

• izzie
    15 years ago

My parents replaced a 4-5year old above range microw with exhaust fan last month. They were told they only last that long, they were right. The new one they were told will only last 4-5 years. What is with these "disposable" large appliances?I still have my 1983 Sears, big enough to cook a small turkey. Would like to get a smaller one but the one I have won't die and I hate to purchase one that will last such a short time.I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for one that would last but how do you tell which ones are not "disposible"?

• downtowner
    15 years ago

We have a top of the line Advantium. It need repairs every 6 months to a year. when I asked the repairman, last time, if I had gotten a lemon, he said: "Well, maybe a lime."

Good old GE. A monument to the vanity of Robert Welch.

• nycjsw
    15 years ago

Yeah, what a great business model. You pay (in my case) about $1,800 for the microwave/convection oven and then have to shell out $240 (which I'm fighting) every 2 years. So you end up giving GE $1,800 and $120 a year? The is borderline fraud in my opinion.

• juliet3
    15 years ago

This is why I bought a countertop Sharp MW. It's powerful, has sensor cook and a bunch of functions I haven't even explored yet (delayed timed cooking, 4 different kinds of defrosts, and more). It will NOT be a built-in (those trim kits cost more than the MW for goodness sakes). This MW will sit on an open shelf.

Price? $139.

I anticipate a 3-year life for this MW. Who knows what will be available 3 years from now? MW's are getting to be like flat-screen TV's, i.e. getting a lot cheaper yet with more technology. 3 years is a long time in appliance terms. Perhaps in 3 years the Advantiums will be $150, who knows. But in any case, I now have a cheap easily replaced MW.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Mine have never died. Had one for 15yrs (Litton) and gave it away. Bought a KitchenAid wall micro. Have it two years, use it every day and have never had a repair. In my office, I have a small cheapy Sharp which we use for heating coffee & such, only paid $49.00 3 years ago, still runs great.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

All good microwaves go to heaven.

• nycjsw
    15 years ago

"Bought a KitchenAid wall micro. Have it two years, use it every day and have never had a repair. In my office, I have a small cheapy Sharp which we use for heating coffee & such, only paid $49.00 3 years ago, still runs great."

Tick, tick, tick...... I hope you didn't just jinx yourself. Two year ago? Wouldn't most people not expect a repair within 2 years? Now if you make it past 5 you can start bragging.

• User
    15 years ago

I am still using Momma's 1970's Sharp. DH says it takes longer to heat stuff but I am glad it works so well. It takes 2 min to reheat 2 servings . It has convection capability but I never use that. c

• sayde
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm trying to decide whether to get a simple microwave, or $450 Pansaonic convection microwave or $1900 Electrolux speed oven to put over a conventional oven. Would love to get the speed oven but am wondering whether it is wise . . . .

• bus_driver
    15 years ago

Our over-the-range model quit after only 3 years. New one is about $200 at Lowes and HD. Magnetron was bad, new magnetron is about $125. Warranty (after arguing) provided new magnetron but labor was $80 which I paid. I carried the unit to their shop and picked it up. New one would not fit my existing mounting plate. Our first one (counter model, probably USA made) lasted about 20 years, the next was cheapo (probably Japan) that lasted about 10 years. We tossed those. Mine latest was made in Korea, the new ones of the same brand are China.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

NYC, you missed the part about my Litton. Had it 15yrs. Gave it away when I redid the kitchen. Never died.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I had a Litton OTR in my old kitchen - it was there at least the 15 years we'd been in our house and probably 3-5 years before that. It was still going strong when we remodeled. That said, I'm quite sure they don't make 'em like they used to. I personally would not pay a lot for a microwave. My new one was about $250 - not built in - sits on a shelf made to fit - easy to remove and replace if it does die.

• alwaysfixin
    15 years ago

All the people reporting their MW's going on for 10, 20, even 30 (!) years need to realize that is not how MW's are made today, AND if you buy one today, please do not have the expectation for that kind of longevity in a MW. And don't think to get around the reliability issue by purchasing an extended warranty. Even if the repairs on the MW are covered, you still have the aggravation of a MW not working, waiting for the repair guy, hoping he has the part, or waiting for the part to come in; all of which could amount to weeks without a MW. So who cares if it would be covered under extended warranty. The best way to plan with your MW is, as some in this thread have stated, assume a 2-3 year life, buy a low-cost one, and install it in a spot that will be easy to remove/replace. That is the no-stress method.

Shannonplus2 said: (P.S. I think all the people reporting MW's with long lives are for those MW's built many years ago. The new ones have built-in obsolescence so that manufacturers can keep selling more of them- my little conspiracy theory LOL!)

Not a conspiracy theory Shannonplus2. The unfortunate truth.

• joann23456
    15 years ago

I bought a new microwave in 2005 to replace the one the one I'd been using since 1980 or so. After 25 years, the old one finally died.

I can only hope I get as good a run from the new one!

• nycjsw
    15 years ago

Just to add an update. The replacement magnetron I got failed in less than 2 months. I'm still fighting GE on the labor for the replacement so I haven't paid them yet. I have spent way too much time writing letters and making phone calls. They are saying if I pay for the initial repair they will fix it again but several GE reps have admitted my microwave model has problems and is no longer made. They are also trying to offer me 50% off an advantium. It would come out to about $900 with trim kit, taxes and shipping. I think I'm going to pass and try to fill the hole in my kitchen with a stand alone unit. This sucks. I gave GE about $20K for my kitchen appliances.

• betsy_anne
    15 years ago

We had a Wolf (rebadged Sharp?) installed about 2 years ago. It failed last year and Wolf replaced it with a new model - and made sure that I understood that a new 2 year warranty started with the new install. Even though it failed, I was happy with Wolf service and stading behind its products (no charge at all).

• Kerie Reese
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have a ge manufacturered in2008 and jut stopped heating and is making noise. So it's lasted 8 years

• Jerry Jorgenson
    7 years ago

I have over 15 years on my Panasonic.

• blubird
    7 years ago

I have a 16 year old OTR by GE still going strong. Last year I gave away a working countertop GE which I had bought in 1981. I just found the punch card registration form for that one.

• qbhaal
    10 months ago

We bought a Frigidaire Professional grade above the range microwave when we bought the house. It lasted us about 10 years. At its death, we would hear a loud buzzing when we would use it. Then, one day, no more buzz, and items were not getting heated. We replaced it with a Hisense (this was a 'last we have' special at Lowe's). It lasted us about 2 years and today, kaput. Once again, near its death, it would make a buzzing sound when it was heating (but not as loud as the Frigidaire). Now I'm shopping for another...

In my research on this topic, I believe that somewhere between 1995 and 2005 something changed in the manufacturing process for a lot of the microwave producers. Not sure what component, diode, materiel or whatever changed, but it changed for the worse. The longevity on microwaves fell from ~20 years to less than 8 years. I didn't spend hours and hours researching, but I did spend about 3 hours diving through forums, repair sites and the like, so take my words with a grain of salt.