SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshuagbarber

Can A Tree Planted Too Deep Die All Of The Sudden?

joshuagbarber
8 years ago

My wife and I have a maple in our front yard. The tree was planted by the builder, or the city, roughly 8 years ago. It was always the first tree on the street to get its leaves in the Spring, and the last to lose them in the fall. However, when the snow melted this year, the tree was very slow to come back, and now even looks like it's dying.

I took a couple trimmed branches to a nursery, who assured me the tree isn't diseased. Also, the tree can't be flooded, because we're on a steep grade. I have now dug out to find the root flare, which is roughly 10" below the soil. I understand this is way too deep, but could it actually kill the tree? Why all the sudden would this be a problem this Spring. Wouldn't it be gradual decay?

My question is this: if it is planted too deep, and if this is the reason the tree is dying, how do I fix it? I can dig an area around the tree to expose the root flare, but then what? Fill with mulch or river rock? Wouldn't it then drown on heavy rainfalls?

I've included a number of photos below (apologies for them being sideways, but that's just how they upload from my iPhone). Please let me know your thoughts on this. I should also tell you that there was some very minor root girdling on one side of the trunk when a dug down. Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (8)