SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Snow update Feb 10

caliloo
14 years ago

At 9:00 AM this morning, DH and I finished shoveling 6 - 8 inches of very heavy wet snow.... they are predicting another 12" or so before it ends...

Comments (42)

• lindac
    14 years ago

You asked.....and I sent my old storm on to you!!
    Linda C

• User
    14 years ago

We can't safely get out, here in Baltimore, the blizzard has started and the winds are picking up, a lot. Probably 8 or so inches over night and they are predicting another 10-12" before it's over. I'm getting prepared for the power to go out, now.

Stay safe

• Related Discussions

Summer garden memories for Feb. 10

Q

Comments (2)
    Reminds me of a lazy summer day, sitting on the porch with a glass of ice tea, watching the honeybees gathering nectar. Very nice memory picture.
    ...See More

update: mnf frugal feb....conclusion

Q

Comments (15)
    Hi everyone,I`m finally back home!!My mother developed a blood clot in her lung while I was there,so we spent a couple of days at the hospital.My sister is with her this week.I just live about 5miles from her but she has no internet. Linda,CONGRATS TO YOU !!!I read back through the posts and thought I had won but you beat me!!I had C5,U20,P45,I59,D74 I recieved Heidi`s box !!!She sent me a wonderful homemade card and book,yummy chocolate treats,a windchime,a fish suncatcher and Burts Bees body bar and chapstick which I needed very bad.THANK YOU,HEIDI. This has been a great swap.April,thank you for hosting. Robin
    ...See More

update: update: birthday extravaganza feb swap #3

Q

Comments (85)
    I really need birthday lists for March for those that can start posting them! I want to have the page done no later than March 1st, but hopefully before for those that have early March birthdays! Please, post your lists as soon as you can! J.J., sorry for your loss... I agree with Dan and everyone... They have a special place in heaven... Kim, I'm really sorry about the computer issues. I hope you get it all ironed out soon so you can have your computer back and protected. J.J. (shropshire_lad) - Thanks so much for the marigolds and Joseph's Coat Amaranthus tricolor! I just adore the card that you sent, too! I thought the inside words had been printed from a program at first because they looked SO good! Annette (playintheyard) - Thanks so much for sharing with me the Marglobe Tomato, Israeli Melon, Collective Farm Woman Melon, and Tortarelo Melon! I giggled reading your note to me. I'll reply to you personally in a minute. :-) Sarah Kate & Nikki (nikkineel) - Awwww! I love the homemade card! I especially like the green cake as that is my favorite color! Thanks so much for the Agastache anisata, Dwarf Cherry Rose Nasturtium, Dragon Tongue Beans, and White Hyacinth Bean Vine! I can't tell you all enough how much this birthday month means to me and how special you all have made me feel! Again, WOW!!! Blessings, Angela Here is a link that might be useful: February Birthday Wish Lists
    ...See More

Snow Snow beautiful snow (and update again)

Q

Comments (9)
    Here is a tip from my mother and her sister. They went and had a colonoscopy a few years ago and got the bad gas pains. To take care of the "problem" they were instructed by their doctor to get on their hands and knees and put their head on the floor with their butts in the air and let nature take its course! Looks funny, but they both said it worked for them! Picture two older women doing this together so they could finish the day shopping at a mall! Hey, it worked for them, you might give it a try!
    ...See More
  • dedtired
    14 years ago

Me, too. So far I haven't shoveled and it is going to be a backbreaking job because it is so heavy. The last snow was fluffy light and pretty. This is just plain ugly. I am home from work -- no way I could get out of here. I wonder if I will be there tomorrow.

My son is staying at my house because he has a horrible intestinal flu and did not want to be with his room mates. So far I have not seen his face yet today, although I heard footsteps to the bathroom, poor guy. I have a feeling he is not going to be in any shape to shovel.

I hear the snowblower. That's good, except another 8" is on the way.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I'm grounded and working from home today. Boy, I didn't even think about loosing power! I hope not, I have a ton of office work to do. We have about a 8-10 inches and it is still coming down.

Stay away from your son Pam!!
    :)

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Oh Alexa, that brings back less than fond memories of my years in the Sault.

Everyone stay safe.

Ann

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Wow, that looks like more than 6 inches!

Stay safe and warm, all of you in the path of that storm.

So far it has missed us, even though they have been predicting lots of snow here. We only got about 3 inches. Not sure if more will come along or not at this point.

Linda

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I'd take some of your snow if you'd send it this way. All week they've been predicting snow for Thursday, but as Thurs. approaches, they've literally watered down the forecast - again - and now they're saying mixed snow and rain....yuck. By tomorrow it'll probably be just cold rain. I hate cold rain. We've had waaaay too much, and my back yard is under water. My onions are rotting, and I had to plant my potatoes on top of the ground. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! At least that would be something different than cold rain, and would be pretty.

With apologies to those that have way too much snow! And to those that really, really don't have enough, like Vancouver.

Sally

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda - that is the wet 6 - 8 inches on top of the 14 - 16 we got last Fri/Sat. Yes, it is WILD here! LOL!

Alexa

• susie_que
    14 years ago

I feel your pain!!

My snow on Sat measured about 26 inches-broke one of my shovels.
    Today it looks like we got about another 10 inches and its snowing again!!
    Try as I may I still cannot figure out how to post pics to this site but if anyone is interested to see how snow in South Jersey looks then check out my face book page...I am Susie Mooney Fardone on FB.

I made a big pot of chicken vegetable soup and later I am going to make a cake of some sort.

Everyone stay safe!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I checked Weather.com this morning to see what the day's prognosis was, and it said it was supposed to snow until 1 PM. Maybe they meant 1 AM tomorrow morning, because even though it was snowing all day, it PICKED UP around 1 and is pouring down still at 3:30. Here's the scene behind my house, and from the looks of what is piled up on my neighbors picnic table I'd say we got about 18 inches . . . and counting. I was not too worried about today, but I have some very important meetings tomorrow and I don't know how we will get dug out from this. I haven't heard a snowplow all day. The municipalities are so strapped financially, I don't know what the deal is.

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Woah! You folk are getting all our snow! we have had very little. Especially bad at Whistler where the Winter Olumics start Friday...they are trucking in snow for the ski events.........should had them in Baltimore!

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Current total here is 16 inches since this morning (after I shoveled the 6 - 8 inches) and it is still snowing hard. Hopefully it is supposed to stop before midnight.... I probably should go shovel again, but I am so sore from shoveling twice today already, I think another hot bath and some Advil are in my future. I would probably have a couple of cocktails, but that seems a little scary with Advil..........

I will check in with pictures in the AM

Alexa

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Skip the advil and have a cocktail or two. I've watched a few news vids and it's just amazing. That wet heavy snow it a PIA to shovel compared to the fluffy stuff. Good to know you still have power. That wet snow can bring down tree limbs just like ice does.

Pink, I don't think you will be going anywhere tomorrow looking at that pic. Tulsa has went way over budget and overtime hours for road plowing this year. They don't ever plow the residental streets down here...just the expressways and major streets.

Sally, I don't like the cold rain either but I will take it over snow or ice any day. That new interchange at LBJ and central scares the heck out me when it's raining hard...can't imagine it with snow....not to forget all the others.

Y'all be safe and check in when you can.

David

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I really do feel for you all with all that snow. I had no right to whine, considering what y'all are going through.

Yes, David, the "High Five", which is what they call that interchange, is a big mess when there's ice.

I hope everyone survives this big snow! Warm thoughts are going out to all.

Sally

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

School got cancelled again for tomorrow. I dug my way to my garage, easily there was two feet of snow on either side of my little path. It would be fun if this week wasn't so darn critical. Well, my students are such a great bunch, we're getting by via phone and e-mail. They are better at working "virtually" than me, and I forget that sometimes. A lot of time it annoys me but right now it is great, they keep connected even though they are snowed in.

• Virginia7074
    14 years ago

Snowmageddon 2 is finally over in my neck of the woods! We got another 12-14 inches - on top of the 34 inches we got last weekend. Dulles Airport set a new record for seasonal snowfall - 72 inches, and winter ain't over yet! There's talk of a clipper for Monday!

I had fun watching bluebirds at my bird bath this afternoon - as many as 8 (4 couples) showed up for drinks. (If you click on the album link, there are 3 more over at Picasa.) {{gwi:1441618}}From Blizzard 02/10/10

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Bluebirds! Wow!

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Beautiful, Virginia!

Well, we actually got snow, and it's supposed to snow all day! I'm so excited! I can't use enough exclamation points I'm so excited!!!!!!! lol

I took some pictures, and tried to get some close ups of the snow on my one open Hellebore and some daffodil buds, but DH has the tripod with him so my close ups were too blurry. Here's one, though, of the snow on my Yaupon, sowing off it's berries.

Sally

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, I've never done a slideshow, so I hope this works.... it was a wild few days, but we all ate well, the grown ups had plenty of adult beverages, lots of shoveling and snowball fights and sledding and best of all there was lots of commaraderie amongts the neighbors. I loved it!!!!!!

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blizzard 2010 slideshow

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Hello, I'm back after 20 hours without power. The house was 52 degrees when I woke up. I stayed under the covers as long as possible. My son has an awful stomach flu and decided to hunker down here with me. I was so glad for his company and in spite of not feeling well he did a lot of shoveling.

Nice to have two days away from the office. Without power I couldn't telecommute. Yay.

This has definitely been a challenge, but it feels good to rise to the occasion.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

the bluebirds and red berries are gorgeous. pretty pictures!

• Virginia7074
    14 years ago

Ooh, I like the red berries, too! Sorry to hear you lost power, Ded. That is rough, I know. For some reason, the bluebirds don't show up at the bird bath until late afternoon - maybe b/c they're in full sun then? Caliloo, your slideshow is great, even if the white stuff is a little too familiar! There's a 50% chance of a little clipper going through here Monday night - we'll see. We have a lot of gravel roads still where I live, and that will be the challenge for opening school on Tuesday.

• susie_que
    14 years ago

Greetings everyone!!

My son Drew actually had off today for an in service day and he has off tomorrow for Presidents weekend?? (geez when I went to school they had Washington and Lincolns birthdays but we still went to school)

So I get up a little late to find a note from the hubs "Call me when you get up" which is odd because he usually just waits for me to text him but I figured something must be urgent so I call only to find out he was going to remove snow from my truck but when he went to start it.....DEAD BATTERY!!!

I guess he wanted me to know so I could call AAA asap.

Well AAA has suspended battery service in south jersey until later today at the earliest but its all good-one of Drew pals called his dad to jump start my battery.
    So the guy was a peach and helped me out and I did the happy dance as I just let my car run and run to help recharge. Frank even called to tell me I should go for a drive to insure a full rechanrge so I did.
    When I returned the plows had been by so I just left my truck in the mouth of the driveway...I left it there about 3 hours and did my odd and ends. At noon I went out to pull my car back into the drive and it started right up!!
    I did the happy dance again!!!

Work called to see if I would be willing to come in early and having missed 3 days so far I said YES!!!

Go out to the car and....DEAD BATTERY!!!!

So AAA says I should try again after 9pm to get on the list for tomorrow!!

So now I am missing my 4th day of work due to the snow....gonna be some lean weeks ahead for me!!

But on the plus side we did have a lot of broken limbs but we did not lose power, the fridge is still well stocked and I haven't lost my mind yet.

Hopefully this will be the last of the big snow storms for awhile!!

Cheers!
    Susie

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Hey, Susie, I hate to tell you but more snow is on the way Monday into Tuesday. Guess who is getting the most? South Jersey. Nothing like this, though.

• User
    14 years ago

I've noticed how my attention and interests have become very local with these two big storms. Every time I read something about the Olympics I kind of go "huh", "oh yeah, the Olympics." It's like climbing out of a deep hole.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

I agree momj47 - a big cold, white hole. While I was clearing waist high snow off my deck, I was thinking I had no interest in the Winter Olympics at all - a first.

Yesterday, I honestly could not come up with what day of the week it was...and I made reference to an event that happened in the last storm as occurring few weeks ago...my DH said it was Saturday - 4 days ago. My mind (and body) is done with this weather. I also can't watch or listen to the weather reports - I need a day.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

M-River, I am having the same experience. I am back to the office today, and I can't remember what day it is! It felt so funny to turn the alarm clock off this morning in advance of the weekend, but it felt like a Monday after two days at home.

Also, the two big blizzards are growing together in my mind. Weird.

Hardly anyone on my street went to work today. I was one of the few. The worst roads were right around the hospital where I work. Now wouldn't you think those roads would be priority?? Oh well, no one is getting any work done. We're all just telling our snow stories.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

We still have big piles of snow here, but most in the yards has melted. But now we are getting "winter weather" reports that sound like we could get another 1-3 inches. Then again, other reports say there is a "chance" of snow flurries.

But, as one person in our office put it, "it's Friday - it's supposed to snow on Friday!" LOL

One of our salesmen in Maryland put up some "snowed in" photos on our intranet.....unbelievable!!!

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Amazing....

News tonight stated that 49 of our 50 states now have snow on the ground. Whodathunk?

Hope all of you with power outages have had it restored by now. Everyone stay safe and warm. Do not drive if you do not have to!

Linda

• User
    14 years ago

I'd bet there's snow in Hawaii, there's an observatory on top of an old volcano and it gets snow every winter.

So we can all be miserable.

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Great pics everyone and that's a cool slide show Alexa!

Sally I guess you got your wish...12 inches in Dallas. WOW! Our office was closed today...no power and the roads. Not seeing you posting I sure hope y'all are okay. I'm guessing you don't have electric.

Crazy winter for sure this year!

David

• caliloo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey all!

GUESS WHAT!!!! Philly area is supposed ot get ANOTHER 6 - 12 inches on Monday night!!!!

I am just sitting back and laughing.... I LOVE THIS WEATHER!

A

• dedtired
    14 years ago

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

• dedtired
    14 years ago

This is the last time you will see me smiling in the snow.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Yessss! It snowed again on a Friday - third Friday in a row! Not a lot, but still pretty!

Teresa in snowy North Carolina

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

We did not get any snow here in Lakeland but we did get some very cold rain . I was an icicle by the time I got off my crossing duty this afternoon.If the wind had not been blowing, it wouldn't have been so bad but rain, cool temperature and an 8 mph wind and I was chilled to the bone.

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, David, I did get my wish. I guess there's a reason I'm not a weather forecaster! No, I wasn't out of power, I just was busy yesterday and didn't make it to the computer for some reason. I went to work for a little bit, only to discover that 2 of the greenhouses had collapsed under the weight of the snow, in spite of them clearing the snow off early in the day on Thursday. They just didn't expect this much snow. I didn't stay there, as there wasn't going to be a lot of business. I'm heading there now. There's plenty of work to do trying to salvage what we can of the plants that are under the collapsed greenhouses.

Sally

• obxgina
    14 years ago

We got about 8 inches of snow last night, here in Eastern NC! A town that doesn't own a snow plow! I will never complain about the heat here in the Summer again!
    Gina

• Virginia7074
    14 years ago

4-6 inches predicted for northern VA Monday night. Hmmmm - so far this month, I've been in school on Feb. 2, 4 and - that's all, folks!!

• User
    14 years ago

It's always the little things that get you. Whoever decided, when they built my house, to put outside basement steps with a drain into the sump cistern was an IDIOT.

I have huge icicles on the roof, two floors up. The snow in my yard is too deep to walk in without snow shoes - about 30". My basement steps are full of snow.

I took the panel off the storm door in the basement and poured hot water out the door until I found the drain. More hot water thawed the drain, so at least now the melting ice and snow will drain.

I attached a hose to the water heater and sprayed hot water on the snow and ice to get it melting, once the worst is gone, I can shovel the stairs. I'm heading to Lowes to get some plastic panels to cover the steps, the ones that were there collapsed under the weight of the snow.

If I don't keep the drain running, the basement area way will flood and then so will the basement. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING.

I hope everyone else is doing all right.

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

Oh, dear, MomJ. You're right, What were they thinking?! Usually the answer to that question is they weren't. Your yard looks pretty, though.

Sally

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Late getting back here but I sure hope some of you are getting some warmer temps to help melt all of that snow.

Sally, sorry to hear about the damage at the greenhouses. I know a lot of carports went down due to all of the snow too.

Pam, great pic and I'd be done smiling too by that time. That's a lot of snow! I do like the looks of your house though...and that big tree behind you.

Momj47, sorry to hear about your basement steps. I remember several houses when I was much younger having those. I lived up north at the time. We don't have basements, for the most part, in my area.

Bring on spring and summer! I'm more than ready!!

David

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES