SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scotkight

Improving ACH from production builder (4.5 to ?)

scotkight
9 years ago

Note: My house is being built, it is not complete or even at drywall stage now.

Builder states that they average about 4.4-4.5 ACH50 and seal all penetrations. All houses are tested for duct leakage (Wood framed house (~4ksqft, 3ksqft above grade), Sheathing is Zip with zip tape on all edges, and windows are foamed in and taped on the outside. There is a foam lining between the concrete and wood framing. Full basement with poured concrete walls and no penetrations on the walls.

I am not sure if the recessed lights are IC or ICAT. With 4.5, I am guessing IC.

Roof is insulation on the floor of the attic (r-38) and normal soffit and ridge vents.

Ductwork is all done inside the ventilated space.

Fiberglass insulation.

No, they won't do anything different, I've tried. So please, I understand that you might want to tell me to tell the builder something, but it does no good as they build to a price point.

I know I'll never get the house down to 1.5 ACH, but is 4.5 "good enough" for zone 4?

What do you think I could DIY, that *definitely* wouldn't get in the way now or later that will make a material impact on the comfort levels of the house?

I was also planning on replacing all of the bulbs in the house with cree cr-6 LED inserts. Are they considered sealed units and would be the equivalent of an ICAT housing? Or could they be considered that with a gasket on the retrofit? Or is it still a requirement to replace the IC housing with an ICAT housing?

I'll also be putting a gasket around the attic entrance and changing it to a nice solid piece of painted wood with rigid insulation backing vs standard builder drywall and insulation.

Comments (13)