SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenfingernail

Odd qn: On etiquette re. contractors

greenfingernail
12 years ago

I used 2 different bathroom contractors, the first (through random referral) did good methodical work, tiling, plumbing, warned me of extra costs for above basic design-related tiling - and I took all that for granted, expected it was par for the course. I pointed to other pending jobs we'd have and got multiple quotes from him for the 2nd job, and actually said we'll call him back to start the 2nd BTH

But then got a very good referral from a close friend for their contractor who seemed to have done a very good job for them on 3 bths - and so selected him for our 2nd job which may have been a mistake; in our estimation he himself may have been fine, but his helpers who he allowed to actually do tiling etc. rushed and displayed poor judgement using broken tile which had to be relaid, poor work at corners and joints, though on overall quick look it seems fine...I felt this also shows lack of his own maturity. (not sure how our friends were so thrilled with him either)

the 2nd guy admits his helper was wanting to finish the job quickly as opposed to well. he says he's going to set aside time to do the work himself for the next BTH

Even so, for the 3rd BTH I'd feel more secure going back to the 1st guy. But he will know we did not give him the 2nd BTH, for which I have no explanation and he may not want to even bid on the 3rd BTH thinking I'm just stringing him along, getting a matching quote from him etc. - he will have his pride. How shd we approach him? Or shd we bother?

Or shd we just give it to the 2nd guy and give him a 2nd chance, but continue watching him like a hawk...

Comments (3)