SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Knock on wood, Chammi's coming home tomorrow!

goldgirl
15 years ago

I first must again say thank you to everyone for putting up with my rambling about our dear old dog. It's so good to know that others understand. You have truly helped me keep the faith on this roller-coaster ride.

The vet called this morning terribly concerned about Chammi's weakness. So imagine our surprise when we walked into the hospital today. Chammi immediately got up and tried to run over!! The vet, caught totally off guard, dived to the ground to keep her from falling over LOL. My DH told the vet that if he'd been basically immobile for four days, he'd have trouble getting around too ;)

A neurologist did check her out and believes she's got a problem in her spine (maybe an old "silent" injury that's flared up from days of inactivity) and possibly something going on in the brain that commonly affects the vision of senior dogs. We're going to bring her home to recover from the surgery but a friend who is a physical therapist (people and canines!) wants to see her right away to get her moving, which is vital to making her more comfortable in the long run.

As far as the possible neuro problem, there's nothing we can do, so we'll just take it one day at a time. I know Chammi will tell us when she wants to go.

I've really agonized over this episode because I don't believe in extending the life of a dog, especially an old one, out of my own selfishness. If the obstruction had been a mass, we would have let her go. But because we knew it was probably fixable, we decided to go through with the surgery, which was simple and went very well. But in the end, we did extend her life out of our own selfishness, I guess. Yet if we hadn't, I always would have wondered, "what if?" I'll second-guess this forever. I so wish our animals could talk.

Sue

Comments (28)