SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

Lots of porches: stone, tile or what?

flseadog
15 years ago

Our new 2 story house will have 4 porches, two in the front stacked over each other and two in the back in the same arrangement. We are going for a new old house look in the Caribbean Island style and the builder thinks stone will look more authentic but has no recommendation beyond that. We have ruled out wood (all of our exterior trim is AZEK) because we don't want wood maintenance issues.

I have seen some porcelain tile that looks like slate and like the idea of using that rather than real slate because it seems like it wouldn't be as rough of bare feet (grandchildren running around) but I'm concerned about slipping and sliding also. We are also trying to keep costs low on this since we've broken the bank on so many things already on this house. DH has given me his suggested budget of $5/sf. We are in central Florida and I'd appreciate any suggestions on what might be appropriate to the style of the house---stucco with metal roof, Caribbean---and the pros and cons of stone vs. tile. Also, on another forum people were talking about stone in terms of $300-$500 a ton. I guess it would depend on the thickness of the stone but how much surface area would a ton of stone cover do you think?

Comments (14)