SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

Use Caution with Registry Cleaners

I have seen many posts suggesting the use of registry cleaners. I am very very cautious of telling a new users or an inexperienced person to just randomly use such and such registry cleaner. I have seen and heard so many disaster stories after registry changes. I personally never tell anyone other than an experienced user to use any registry cleaners, and to research them well first.

One question I have seen asked several times is

Quote:

why Registry cleaning is not an issue for Window XP but a big deal for older version windows?

and the answer quote:

the old DOS based Windows had some areas of the OS limited to 64KB of memory no matter how much memory was added. In XP, this limit was removed and the payoff of registry cleaning was diminished.

If you are considering using a registry cleaner please just do a simple search on google "are registry cleaners safe" and review some of the comments, and be prepared before you use one!! It may go fine or it may not so be prepared! Always backup at the very minimum your registry.

Also take a look at this forum where Carol has a very good review and testing of some registry cleaners she has used and problems encountered.

http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=1188.0

I would not tell anyone what to do or how to answer but please keep in mind that many people that read forums are extremely new users and may not have the experience necessary to determine if a registry change will be harmful to their systems.

So in the case of recommending one also provide the information on exactly how to use it, make registry backup, and what to do should it find errors and then cause problems. Recommending programs that do not do deep registry cleaning/editing but do simple light clean up would also be preferable.

I agree that there are some good ones out there.

Just my opinion of course as always. And simply a statement of caution.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County