SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eleeny_gw

restocking fee?! (new thermador vs. old gaggenau induction cookto

eleeny
14 years ago

Arrrgh! I'M SO FRUSTRATED!!! (This is a follow-up question from the other thread on the new Thermador induction cooktop.) We just took delivery on our Gaggenau 36" induction cooktop last week, only to find out that there a brand new Thermador induction out that's way better AND cheaper! (Aside from the delivery men taking it out of the box for my inspection, it has NOT been touched.) The dealer from whom I just purchased nearly $40,000 in appliances wanted to charged ma a 25% restocking fee to exchange it. When I asked for a better deal, they decreased it to 12.5% plus I don't get the refund on the price difference btn the 2 units. Basically, that means I will spend an extra $500 on a cooktop that would have cost me LESS initially.

I've spent the past few days agonizing over whether it's worth it. I've spoken to the Gagg/Therm 800 number at length and we even drove out to the BSH showroom in Brooklyn yesterday to see the new unit in person. The problem is, unlike gas stoves and such, induction is all about TECHNOLOGY. And the bottom line is, even though Thermador isn't as "high-end" as the Gagg, the brand new unit has everything that the old Gagg has AND much much more. More power (boost up to 4.6kW), a huge 13" burner in the center, 6 timers (5 auto-shut-off plus 1 count-down), Sensor Dome w/ CookSmart (I was hoping that it's just a gadget I'd never use, so I would be happy staying w/ my Gagg, but it sounds really cool! Set the temp that you want, such as 335-355 deg for frying chicken, and the cooktop will monitor the temp of your pot and cycle on/off as needed to keep that temp constant for you.) There are 9 pre-programmed modes for dummy cooking: rice, sausage, veggies, pudding, milk, frying, etc. where you just put the food on, set it, and then leave it until it's done. With 2 toddlers, it sounds like convenience features that I would actually use!

Anyways, the woman at the BSH showroom encouraged me to talk to my appliance dealer about the "penalty" that they're charging me for the exchange. First of all, it's not a return, just an exchange, to the same manufacturer no less. The unit is out of the box but has never been installed or even touched. Thirdly, we just spent nearly $40,000 buying our entire kitchen from this dealer, much of it from the same manufacturer (BSH -- Thermador 30" fridge & 24" freezer columns, Gaggenau 30" steam oven, single wall oven, and warming drawer, as well as the 36" Gagg induction cooktop in question here.) Fourthly, I just ordered the Gagg on Jul 14. Apparently the new Thermador was already available for ordering at that time, For some reason the dealer didn't know anything about it until I just told him this week. I had gone to the BSH showroom in back in June, but for some reason no one there told me about the new Thermador either!

DO YOU ALL THINK THAT THE RESTOCKING FEE IS SOMETHING I CAN/SHOULD FIGHT IN THIS CASE? (It seems excessive, and I will be very polite when I ask them to cut me a break, but perhaps I should insist?) Apparently the dealer said that the manufacturer assesses them a penalty when they try to return an item, and they don't keep any of their own stock in the warehouse; everything is on order only. So DH thinks it would be fair if they allow us to do an even exchange of the Gagg for the new Therm, and we don't get the refund of the difference back for the cheaper Therm, but we shouldn't have to pay the extra $500+ that they're asking for either.

Sorry for the super-long post. THANKS THANKS THANKS in advance for all of your input!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!