SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

*%#@* Refrigerator, Again - Perspective Please

rococogurl
9 years ago

Our 10 y.o. Viking fridge, the one with the 3rd door recall that was just repaired again and the missing freon that required a $600 repair last year, now is so noisy a guest asked what it was the other day. I believe this is one of the fridges produced after they bought the Amana plant. Single compressor.

Over the years it has become noisier. The sound seems to be coming from a vent grill at the top center back inside the fridge. Sounds like a fan. First it was a whirring sound. Then a low buzz. Then a swarm of bees. Now the swarm sound is so loud at times it's intrusive. But it does go silent for periods.

Two days ago there was a new noise: a grinding sound, sort of like you get when you're trying to start the car when the battery is dead. But that's gone away and hasn't returned -- yet.

DH wants to replace. I'd prefer to wait till it goes and hope that isn't in the middle of a winter. We do have the PO's Kenmore fridge in the garage.

This is a built-in, fully intergrated fridge. Have been through all the options of what will fit: SZ or Bosch French door built in. Bosch is not quite as much (though quite more than I would have expected) but awful reviews including noisy fan. The SZ f/d that would fit gets excellent reviews, my local dealer highly recommends, but it's crazy $$$$.

The retrofit SZ will no longer be flush, as my Vik is -- it will be proud of the cabinet by the thickness of the door + handle and that includes the grill. Doesn't thrill me but I've seen multiple installs in new kitchens done that way and have pix. OTOH, the f/d will be more functional in the current space than the single big door.

I would rather not replace. Any opinions about this noise? Worth repairing? Easy or difficult? Looks to me like the fridge would need to be pulled out or the back interior taken apart somehow to get to that grill area.

As always, this is a domino game. I have a radiant Viking cooktop (replaced twice) with the decals wearing off again. I could go with a Wolf induction and kill 2 birds while the installer needs to be here anyway as induction will require an adjustment on my utensil drawer.

Both of us have accidentally left the cooktop on and I would feel better with one that turned itself off. Fairly sure Wolf will fit in the current cut out in a stainless counter.

This is not fun after only 10 years out. But if there's a major redesign it could be really difficult to replace later.

Another issue are our infamous power outages.The Viking has been pretty tough. I don't need to be paying for controller boards every year if the SZ is more delicate. No idea about the induction but we turn things off when a storm is due.

Comments (78)