SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carol_peoples

vented vs ventless dryers?

Carol Peoples
5 years ago

I am trying to fit a stackable washer/dryer or all-in-one laundry center in my master closet. In order to save a few inches we are considering a ventless dryer (if we go with front loading stackables). Does anyone have advice regarding this?

Comments (70)

• Heather
    5 years ago

I have both, a full size front load Samsung upstairs and a compact Bosch 800 series downstairs. The Bosch is ventless. The Bosch has a different setup, the washer plugs into the dryer cord and into the wall and the dryer drains into the washer drain. It cleans and dries clothes beautifully. I can vent these, but the only option for a vented compact dryer is GE, and I ended up with the Bosch set because it’s rated so high. Miele is excellent also, but a lot more money.

• chiflipper
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

dadoes, while the laws of physics are immutable, the rate structures of energy supply grids are not. In many parts of the world energy costs are "time of use" dependent. Therefore, the small amount of juice needed to maintain the HW tank temp during daylight hours may be 5x's the cost of "off peak" use..it adds up. One Phoenix, AZ elec. supplier has an optional time of use rate structure. Restrict your laundry / dishwasher / pool filter use to between 9pm & 5am and you get a discount but, you incur a BIG penalty if you deviate from that time frame.

• Related Discussions

Ventless vs Vented propane gas fireplaces

Q

Comments (1)
    Vented units tend to be more about ambiance than heat. Ventless units provide more heat, but also put things into the air that aren't so great to breath. I personally would suggest a vented gas stove. There are numerous models on the market that provide both ambiance and heat and which largely negate the drawbacks of both.
    ...See More

Large ventless? VS ventless conversion kit!

Q

Comments (1)
    Forget about the bucket - they don't work. If you have no vent then either a washer/dryer or a European-sized condenser dryer is the only option I see. The European dryers handle half of what a large US front loader can handle. So you should either split large loads is half or only wash medium loads to begin with. Venting a large dryer into a closet is not a good idea! Alex
    ...See More

Ventless vs. vented dryer in master closet?

Q

Comments (16)
    I have a ventless dryer in our laundry room. I'm happy enough with it, possibly because I only use it once a week, for towels - we line dry almost everything else. It does a fine job of drying the towels, but it's sloooow. And I have to empty out the condensation thingummy after every load (the plants on the patio quite like it). If you're going to use a dryer rather than a clothesline as your main dryer, I'd go for vented.
    ...See More

ventless compact dryers, condenser vs heatpump

Q

Comments (3)
    Does your Bosch dryer put off lots of heat and make your room really hot? We got a 500 series a month or so ago, and it turns our laundry room roughly the temperature of the surface of the sun. It also leaks from the condenser at least once a week. It also gets so hot you can barely touch the sides while it’s running
    ...See More
  • dadoes
    5 years ago

That's an entirely different thing.

• User
    5 years ago

We've rented homes in Europe with the ventless dryers. Horrible, compared to vented dryers in the US. Even top of the line ones. The ones I've used have to be drained (was very easy though), but never dried my towels and jeans. I had to hang them around the house to dry. It took days! The house always felt humid when the dryer was working and for a period of time thereafter. I would never get a ventless dryer if ANYTHING else was available.

• 50s_ranch Andres
    5 years ago

After over 50 years of using top loading washers and dryer, I switched to a Bosch 300 set with ventless dryer due to a total gut renovation. I was a little leary at first, but it all worked out fine.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

I have a ventless Asko in our rental in NY. I HATE it. Ok that's a bit strong. I DESPISE it. Can you tell I don't like it. It takes 2-3x as long to dry the clothes. This one doesn't have a drain with it so it means after running it once, I have to empty the bin filled with water. And it take 2-3x as long if not longer to dry clothes.

Plus you need to make sure there is enough air around them. Ours in NY are in a closet, so whenever we run it, the closet door must stay open or the darn thing doesn't dry at all.

• cpartist
    5 years ago

Anyone can believe anything they want. My ventless takes 40 minutes to dry towels. My vented dryer, a Miele, took 30 minutes.

Well my ventless takes at least double that time to dry towels. My LG in FL takes all of 20 minutes to dry my towels.

Believe what you want because that's fact. I despise doing laundry here in NY and in FL it's a breeze to do it.

• Helen
    5 years ago

The negative comments are not applicable to modern highly rated ventlessdryers.

The Bosch dryers vent into the same drain as the washing machine so no pans to take out. That’s like criticizing steam ovens because you got one that wasn’t plumbed and so you have to fill the water pan to produce steam.

The modern high quality dryers do a fine job on towels.

Just research and find out which models offer a good user experience. I don’t know anyone with a Bosch model who isn’t completely satisfied.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

I recently purchased the LG DLEC888W ventless dryer. I've only done three loads to date but am satisfied with its performance. Even though I have a vent, I chose a ventless dryer because my condo can be cold and dry in the wintertime. The dryer's condensate can be optionally routed through a tube to the washer's drain. You can pair this dryer with an LG washer (stacked) but I sat mine side by side with a GE GNW128SSMWW compact washer.

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

@cpartist - I had an Asko pair. Condolences. Had a vented Asko dryer that was my least favorite ever. Explains all.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    5 years ago

Hi Carol,

We have a ventless all in one in our tiny unit, it works, but not a fan of it.

I have had a number of friends tell me they've had nothing but trouble with their front loaders as well. A girlfriend's husband is a w/d repairman, he says front loaders is what's making his retirement possible, lol!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

I am following ventless threads with interest -- I want a ventless when I re-do my laundry room.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

mxk3: Consumer Reports has ratings you might want to check.

• PRO
    Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
    5 years ago

Condensing ventless dryers have come a long way. The early ones weren't very good but they're getting better and more companies are offering them in the U. S. market. With respect to Consumer Reports, chances are that your local library has a subscription.

• tatts
    5 years ago

So, someone's spending hundreds of dollars for a dryer, but can't afford to spend 5 bucks for a magazine that does the testing or a bit more for their annual compilation? And the organization doing the actual work doesn't need to be supported financially? Hmmm.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    5 years ago

^^ What ?

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

Years ago Consumer Reports was valid. Today, IME not so much.

• Heather
    5 years ago

True. Consumer Reports doesn’t test the high end and only limited models. They also don’t take into consideration how expensive spare parts are or longevity. They assume everyone will replace in 8-10 years.

• Helen
    5 years ago

CR is still a great source for certain types of consumer goods and if they actually have tested the model under consideration, it has much more validity than anecdotal reviews on the internet.

Their testing model works really great for items like cars which have limited models and since they survey large numbers of cars, one really would get a good sense of car reliability for different models. Other reviews of cars - at least in my opinion - touch on more of the "excitement" and aesthetics of specific cars.

The problem with CR review of appliances is that the number of models is simply overwhelming so the odds of their reviewing a specific model - let alone the specific models one is interested in are minimal so difficult to extrapolate to other models.

However, I do think that their overall scoring on reliability are still valid as they survey vast numbers of users on repairs needed over a five year period and so the odds are good that if one selects a brand that consistently needed a significantly fewer number of repairs, one probably would do better than picking a brand with the MOST number of repairs.

I also think the average Houzz forum participant is not the target group for their kitchen remodeling advice. However, I think their Kitchen/Bath issues are probably excellent sources for the average remodeler. I know when I first thought about remodeling in 2004 I knew almost nothing and I found their guides to be an excellent source of information in terms of various types of materials - cabinet construction etc.

However, they do not test upper level appliances so those buying Gaggenau and Bluestar are on their own :-). I don't think they rated my Bosch Benchmark appliances either but I was buying those based on the reputation of Bosch as well as personal experience with my old Bosch dishwasher.

• latifolia
    5 years ago

We have a CR subscription, but you need to read the detail, not look at the composite score.

For example, a vacuum gets great ratings because it beat all the others on carpet and dog hair, but you have hardwood floors and no pets.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

"The problem with CR review of appliances is that the number of models is
    simply overwhelming so the odds of their reviewing a specific model - let alone the specific models one is interested in are minimal so difficult to extrapolate to other models."

This is not correct. CR often includes models in its ratings that it believes will perform similarly to the tested model. Its current ratings of electric dryers includes 16 untested models that CR believes will perform similarly to tested ones. For example, it includes three Whirlpool dryers, one each at $1050, $900 and $700 that it believe will perform similarly.

Also, if a consumer finds a well-rated product on CR, he can research other models on the manufacturer's website -- which generally include extensive specifications -- to find similar products with or without features that frequently are the only things that distinguish products that perform similarly but can result in huge differences in prices.

However, they do not test upper level appliances so those buying Gaggenau and Bluestar are on their own...

CR is including more "upper-level" (i.e., expensive) appliances in its ratings. For example, it tested Wolf, Jenn-Air, Miele, Thermador, Thor, and Smeg among others in its tests of ranges. Such products do not necessarily perform well and well-known brands are offering models designed to compete with the fancy-pants brands, sometimes at lower cost.

Consumer Reports doesn’t test the high end and only limited models. They also don’t take into consideration how expensive spare parts are or longevity. They assume everyone will replace in 8-10 years.

None of these statements are true other than CR tests only limited models. GE alone sells 46 dryers and 100 dishwashers; obviously it can't test them all.

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

When they test high end appliances they downgrade them for price vs value. I get that. Perhaps more reliable than general internet reviews though I have found that the number of reviews on a reliable site can be a good guide as well. We can all just share experiences good and bad and then roll the dice. It's unfortunate that major appliances are such blind items.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

rococo: CR's ratings are price-independent. It does flag products it considers to be good values as "best buys".

• Jerry Jorgenson
    5 years ago

I've used ventless driers for years. The current laundry set is Asko. FWIW, I don't trust CR farther than I can read the fine print.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

The three Asko compact dryers ($1050 - $1700) CR tested were among the lowest rated. The $1400 Asko T754CW was dead last.

• Heather
    5 years ago

For what it’s worth- I know someone who loves his Asko laundry. Ironically, his well is dry and he relies on catchment in a land where it doesn’t rain 9 months per year. Asko uses the least amount of water of any laundry system. He’s happy, his clothes are clean, and he doesn’t have to pay for water to be delivered (it’s really expensive). So CR missed the mark on Asko’s target market.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

Asko's $2300 W8844XLW washer was not only among the lowest rated in CR's tests of compact washers, it's water efficiency was the lowest, and the brand's predicted reliability was "poor".

• latifolia
    5 years ago

Lawrence, that’s why many people don’t trust CR: their own experiences, and those of their friends, don’t match the reviews.

• Jerry Jorgenson
    5 years ago

That says more about CR than it does about Asko.

• DBV DBV
    5 years ago

I won't buy anything if CR rates it as poor reliability. Won't even take that chance.

• Heather
    5 years ago

Well, the guy who has the Asko laundry pair had a huge spreadsheet on how much water each washer used. And he’s an engineer, so I’m pretty sure the list was scientific. I’d trust a guy who measures every last drop of water used through multiple households on his property (he has rentals) before I’d trust CR. I think they do a decent job reviewing the average appliance for the average household that will replace in 5-8 years.

• DBV DBV
    5 years ago

I think these days any appliance is hit or miss. I purchased the Miele's based on their great feedback on this forum and I have purchased washers and dryers that were number one in Consumer Reports and none have lasted very long. Might as well throw a dart. :)

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

The Miele W3048 was top-rated in CR's test of compact washing machines and the brand had excellent predicted reliability. Expensive at $2K, though.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

I think [CR does] a decent job reviewing the average appliance for the average household that will replace in 5-8 years.

Where in the world do people get ideas like this?

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

When I purchased my Asko pair , in 2003, for a weekend house, it was rated very highly by CR and I went by that rating. I never liked the vented dryer but the washer did a good job on small loads. It had great temperature control. It was my first front loader. But even with part time use it didn't hold up. The delicate and all lower cycles never worked. It used so little water and had no sensors so a queen size quilt did not get fully saturated when it was washed. It had to be done 2 or 3 times. They replaced the machine and those cycles didn't work. Asko told me there was nothing more they could do for me. Then the control board died on the replacement machine and I could only get 2 hour cold washes. This was in a house only used on weekends.

I switched out to Miele. The was a world of difference in the performance. But the heater failed and did not get repaired after 3 visits. So they replaced the machine. After that there were 0 issues. Miele's vented dryer was better than Asko's. But one buys Miele for the wsher's performance, durability and reliability should something go wrong.

Had a Bosch set during this time in another house. It was trouble free though that washer didn't have a true hot wash. Currently have the Bosch 500, as I've posted above. The washer is good enough that I haven't once felt I missed what the Miele could do. The dryer is ventless and it does a great job, especially on delicates. It is very adjustable but works most effectively for me on the timed dry settings vs the defaults as I tend to have small loads.

I did have a subscription to CR for many years and read it carefully for several items. It did lower ratings for price in the past. Perhaps they have adjusted that now.

• DBV DBV
    5 years ago

I think every washer and dryer brand must have its short comings. I purchased our Miele's based on the above and it definitely has not been reliable and at least in the US, Miele supports is lackluster for such an expensive product. No way that a dryer should not be fixable in only 8 years of ownership. We have had 4 other issues related to our washer and dryer, which really add to the cost of maintenance. Again, it may be a fluke, but at least in the US, Miele supports is not any better than any other appliance maker, which is too bad, because there washer and dryers are built like a tank.

• Heather
    5 years ago

I have a Bosch 800 pair and I love my set. But I also have a Samsung pair upstairs. Both sets have been trouble free for me. I don’t expect my compact washer to was queen size bedding, but it handles couch covers and other duties extremely well. Wish the Bosch dryer was vented because they sit on an outside wall.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

[the washer] used so little water and had no sensors so a queen size quilt did not get fully saturated when it was washed.

The government was demanding that washers use less and less water but the manufacturers didn't know how to build washers that would perform well.

[CR] did lower ratings for price in the past.

Nope.

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

I disagree about the ratings. I also have been to the CR offices and seen their test areas. But whatever.

My Miele compact handled a king size quilted blanket cover and same size quilted duvet with no issues -- the machine had sensors.

Will say this about Miele service. It depends where you live. I had to replace most appliances within a 12 year span and when I replaced with Miele the problems went away. They weren't perfect but compared to others I came to trust them. Would never hesitate to buy/recommend them. I replaced washer, oven and fridge with Miele.

• grifman
    5 years ago

Hi, I am looking at getting the Bosch 800 washer / vent less dryer set, they will be in a closet, will I need to keep the door open for the dryer to work or can it be closed without effecting the dryer?

thanks

• Heather
    5 years ago

I have the Bosch 800 set. The dryer condensed and the water drains into the washer drain. You can keep the door closed. Make sure you have the correct hookups- the wall plug is a bit weird.

• Marigold
    5 years ago

the air in our laundry room is always humid when our Bosch 500 dryer is running. We usually crack the door open to our garage to allow it to dissipate. I am not sure I would want that level of humidity closed in a little closet, but I suppose you could just leave the door open after the dryer quits running

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

I have the Bosch 800 set...You can keep the door closed.

If the dryers is installed in a closet, you cannot close the closet door unless the door is vented top and bottom as described in the installation manual. Bosch recommends the dryer to be installed where the front of the dryer is completely open: no doors or covers.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

"but the only option for a vented compact dryer is GE,"

No so........Blomberg, Asko, and Samsung make them too. And Gorenje, but I know it's not available in the US yet (I'm in Canada and bought a Gorenje set about a month ago. So far, so good.)

• Heather
    5 years ago

Bloomberg, Asko and Samsung make vented compact dryers. Well, the only one on that list I would consider is Samsung. GE is a much more reliable brand when it comes to laundry. Incidentally, we had a bedding disaster and the Bosch 800 handled a queen size quilt with no issues. All traces of unmentionables are indeed gone and the bedding is dry and ready for use. I‘m very happy with the Bosch 800 set, even though the dryer is condensing and not vented. My neighbor with the dry we’ll still loves his Asko washers. To each their own....

• Jerry Jorgenson
    5 years ago

I have the Asko washer and ventless dryer. They have been working fine for five years now.

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

Door must be left open while the dryer is running. Read the manual!

• zneret
    5 years ago

There's a lot of water and it has to go somewhere. Not all of it is going down the drain.

• Heather
    5 years ago

It depends if you have adequate ventilation. I live in an extremely dry climate, so humidity produced by dryers doesn’t really do much, but if you live in a humid environment, the extra moisture will be a problem. Mine are under counter installed. They are very quiet when compared to my full sized Samsung front load pair (those are noisey).

• rococogurl
    5 years ago

It's not the water it's the residual heat. Nobody needs trouble. If the condenser dryer is in a closet keep the door open when it's in use

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022