SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grandms

Slow bootup and one other problem

grandms
14 years ago

For about a month, my XP SP3 computer with 3GB RAM has been very slow to boot up, whereas previously it had been quite fast. I checked items in startup and disabled everything except those having to do with security. This did not help. I have cleaned up and defragged. Again no improvement. I get the MS welcome window and then my wallpaper appears. Then it will take a full minute or more for the desktop icons and taskbar to appear. Once that happens, my Avast updates and I'm ready to go. E-mail downloads fast and most web pages open in a timely fashion. So, I need some advice with this.

My second problem just began about two or three days ago. I have been using Chrome as my default browser. I have been having trouble with it "freezing" or maybe "crashing" is a better term. This seems to happen when I click on a link in an e-mail and has happened with several different links. When this happens, I cannot do a CAD or anything. Sometimes the hourglass will appear, sometimes not. Eventually, I must resort to using the power switch on the computer to shut down. I'm thinking there must be some conflict causing this, but I don't know where to begin in tracking this down. I uninstalled and re-installed Chrome, but it still happened last night.

This is all very frustrating because after installing a new HDD a few months ago, this machine has been very fast. I pride myself on keeping a clean, lean machine. Any help with either of these problems will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)