SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacy_gw

Very small bath layout guidance

jacy
15 years ago

I have a 975 SF raised ranch with one bath. Previous owners studded out a 6x5 area in basement, directly below main level bath. I would like to finish this area for a second 1.5 bath, however it would be atrociously tight as-is. Have a quote from a plumber to core basement floor and rough in plumbing for shower drain, toilet and sink. Understandably, he wants to enlarge the area, which doesn't entail too much demo as it's only finished on the exterior, which is exposed to the open floor plan finished basement.

Where we're of a different opinion is which way to go. As you look at the layout, I don't want to go to the left, as that's a nice little workout area that really can't be made any smaller. Can't go to the right without going a LOT to the right because there's a window almost immediately beyond that right wall, so we'd have to go a good 4-1/2 to 5 feet or more to incorporate that entire window and that'd take too much away from the main room, and make the bathroom larger than it effectively needs to be.

I'd prefer bumping out the door wall, as it's really dead floor space right now -- an 11' wide walkthrough area that could easily give up a few feet. What do you think?

Part of the issue is the plumber doesn't speak English too well, I'm heard of hearing and rely a lot on lip reading; a situation ripe for miscommunication. (Yes, he's licensed, comes well recommended and I've seen his work.) He's a great plumber but perhaps not so much a designer. I have a very reliable and skilled handyman to help with the finish work, but again, design skills...?

The layout below is a very rough prelim sketch done by me. It'll be tight no matter how you slice it -- there's no getting around that, but it is what it is: a small bath in a small house -- no shame in that.

I'm a single mom of three teenagers and proud owner of a very limited budget. We're desperate for a second bath of any size, and just trying to make the most of what we have to work with. Any recommendations much appreciated!

Thanks,

~Jacy

Here is a link that might be useful: Second Bath Layout Sketch

Comments (10)