SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Geometric guidance needed on tile layout

weedyacres
16 years ago

I posted this in flooring, but it's quiet over there, so thought I'd drag it to where the tile experts lurk.

We're retiling our foyer, and the design is a rectangular "rug" surrounded by lighter tile. Here's the rug part, lacking just a couple border edges.

Here's the dilemma: The outside border will be 16" tiles (actually ~15 3/4") laid straight. However the "rug" is 75" wide and 125.5" long. So I can't just do a full border all the way around and then go from there. (Why didn't I think of this before I started?) How do I lay the outside tile so it looks balanced/centered/right?

What I've tentatively come up with is (hope I can describe this adequately without a drawing) is to cut the corner pieces down so they're an L shape, then cut down everything between them, so the result is cut edges against the mosaic border all around. Spacing would be as though I laid out 6 tiles x 9 tiles and then centered the "rug" on top of them. So the first row around the "rug" would be about 10" deep, followed by full tiles, followed by, sadly, only about 2-3" of tile at the edges of the floor.

Am I completely off base? Any other ideas on how to do this? Do I just not worry about the lighter outside tiles not being centered in their layout pattern (seems like that would bug me, but perhaps not)? And how should I have thought this through before starting out to avoid this partial tile thing?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH