SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmmartini

Undercounter Oven/Convection MW - are we crazy?

kmmartini
13 years ago

I am new to GardenWeb and have literally spent the past 9 hours reading posts today as DH and I gear up for a total kitchen remodel in a few months...THANK YOU for all of the great suggestions and tips, I know I will be spending a lot of time here!

Our dilemma is this:

1. I *really* want two ovens (one "regular" oven, probably 30" and one Convection Microwave oven because I use the oven almost daily for lots of "small" jobs like roasting veggies, crisping bread, etc). This was a compromise from a traditional double oven arrangement.

2. I am planning on a gas cooktop in island (after a lot of research on GW!).

3. Space constraints do not readily allow for a double wall oven/convection MW unit (which would be the ideal) - if we did the wall unit, would eliminate space for the pantry

DH is very meticulous, logical, methodical thinker (read: not so much concerned with design/aesthetics). He's mapping all of this out on CAD software and has concluded that our only option is a 36" gas cooktop, 30" single undercounter oven (separate from cooktop), built-in microwave above the undercounter oven, and TOASTER OVEN on the counter somewhere.

I have serious reservations about the undercounter single over and/or toaster oven ideas. We have talked about a range to solve the oven dilemma but they seem to be so much more expensive and it would be more of a cabinet space hog.

My goal is to streamline/integrate as much as possible and I'm already concerned about the "disjointed look" of three separate cooking appliances.

Any thoughts, suggestions, tips? Am I crazy to think that the combo convection/MW oven will be such a great and useful thing? Are undercounter ovens not recommended?

Also, any suggestions on a good mid-tier gas range (i.e., not $5000 Wolf)? I love to cook and want something toward the "gourmet" end but not so much $$$.

THANKS!

Comments (6)