SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hortsense

what should I buy?

16 years ago

Not my normal forum but I thought I'd ask complete strangers opinions as that has always worked well in the past...

I am shopping for my second computer. The first one is still functioning but is 6 years old, limited in speed and memory and unable to run many things common today that were not yet thought of 6 years ago.

Price is only a minimal concern...I am comfortable in the $800-$1300 range.

Desktops only (no interest in a laptop)and only for home use. Main uses would be web surfing, photo storage, music downloads (legal only), e-mail, bill-paying. Some on-line gaming but nothing excessively demanding.

My main concerns would involve adaptability, expandability and accessibility. Ability to plug a camera in to the front of the tower would be nice...or perhaps a card reader built in. I'd want to be able to upgrade the computer in the future (unlike my current desktop which is incapable of being upgraded. I cannot envision multi-tasking complex processes on my current system but if a newer system can do that it would be a plus. It'd be nice to have an extra DVD player in the house, but I'd never bother to record anything.

What specific models should I consider. I do NOT want to buy a problem. What Operating system? (started with 98 and am running 2000 currently). I am so NOT looking forward to figuring out the quirks of a new OP/sys. I am also usually able to figure out how to set up or add things to my current computer. Do you think I should spring for an in-home set up or can I tackle this myself?

Anything else I should consider? Opinions are more than welcome!

Thanks,

GT

Comments (12)