SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garden_wench

want to update 2 baths, lots of questions

garden_wench
16 years ago

We have a mid 70's home and want to update the 2 upstairs bathrooms. We will keep tub, toilet and sink in same locations so that should help with costs. I want to update the rooms but I am wondering where the $$ is best spent.

Bath #1 is off of the master bedroom is small, 5 ft x 9 ft and has harvest gold tile about halfway up the wall, mirror set in flush with tile, tub has sliding doors, the only storage is vanity below the sink and a small wall cabinet we added.

Bath #1: want to remove tile and mirror, replace neutral creamy travertine looking tile and and a sensible mirror. I am thinking the wall tile will have to be at least as high as current tile, or should I go higher with it? Can't go lower since wall will be messy after tile is removed?

Tub, remove doors, hopefully salvage tub, I think the bottom rail of sliding doors is not screwed into tub, just caulked. Not sure of cost of new style glass doors, but could be ok with shower curtain.

Vanity is 36 in, it is a small bathroom but I need storage space. The wood looks better quality than what I have seen, and new vanities are expensive. I was thinking of just restaining and adding slide out drawers. Then adding a nice sink and counter top, like granite, etc. Or will it just be better to get a new slightly smaller vanity that has drawers and a door and then get a nice wall storage to match it.

Bath #2 is the main bath off the hallway. It has white tile with gold specks, dated yes, but not like the harvest gold. I have actually seen that tile at the big box stores. The room is 7 ft x 11.5 ft with a 72 in vanity w/ single sink, same kind of mirror and tile height and the tub has doors also. There is a linen closet for storage. Since the vanity is so huge I was thinking of replacing it with a slightly smaller model and making it into a double sink again with a nice countertop.

Would like to get rid of the sliding doors and salvage tub, same as above.

I am wondering though, since I can get matching tile, to spend on the new vanity and sinks, and mirror(s)and stay with the same tile since I can get matching. Or will that look too dated.

What options are available doors for 60 in tubs, I have no idea on the frameless, semi-frameless costs or what is best option for smaller bathrooms.

Comments (4)