SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californiaplaya

Updating 2nd/hall bath in condo - suggestions needed

californiaplaya
14 years ago

I've got a 2bd/2bd single story condo that I've had for five years. When I got it, everything was original 25 years old and needed some serious updating. It was in good condition, just old. I've done just about everything, except the baths, but its time for at least one. I want to do the 2nd bath first, learn from doing that and then do the master in another year or two. This bath is 5'x11'. My plan is to replace everything, except the tub. That consists flooring, light, mirror, toilet, vanity, vanity top, and faucet, and of course painting.

{{gwi:1394367}}

{{gwi:1494398}}

The tub is the first thing I want to work on, since that seems to be the simplest and least expensive. The plan is to remove the doors, patch the holes left from doing this, as well as cover up a couple of surface chips and cracks. And then put up a curtain. Some people like curtains, some prefer doors. There are advantages and disadvantages to both I think. I figure a curtain is simple and inexpensive enough. If I don't like it, I can always go back to doors.

This is what it currently looks like.

{{gwi:1494400}}

Question #1 I do not have access to the back of this tub enclosure to access the valves without tearing out the wall. Is there anything I can do to update this faucet? When I bought the place, I replaced the spigot, knob, and backing plate for the knob. But I just replaced them with with the same style replacement parts. I would like something more modern looking and something that will match the vanity faucet when that gets replaced. I've got no idea what model this is. It was made by Price Pfister and is 25 years old.

{{gwi:1494402}}

The toilet will be replaced by a Toto something, most likely a Drake. I think I've got that figured out.

{{gwi:1494404}}

The fan/heat lamp is staying. I'm not crazy about it and its a bit loud. But I don't have access from above - no attic. So attempting to replace it would be a good amount of work. I replaced both of the fan motors and painted the aluminum color cover white and thats good to go.

{{gwi:1494406}}

I've got no idea what to do with the vanity and need suggestions here. Its a 60', which I don't really think needs to be so big in this bath - it just collects stuff, as you can see here. And just for the record, thats all my roommates stuff, not mine :-) The vanity is so big, its almost begging for double sinks. But I think that looks a bit out of place in a 2nd bath. I'll do double sinks in the master, but I want to do something different here. I am leaning towards something from RonBow, but don't know what. I've seen them in person, and like the quality and the price seems fair. As a bonus, they are a local company, and I would be able to pick up the completed pieces from them within a couple of days of being ordered and save on shipping. It would most likely be something from their Contempo, Traditions, or Modular lines.

There isn't a lot of storage in this place. I'm thinking possibly doing a smaller vanity and putting either a linen tower next to it, or going with the 60' vanity again, but getting a small matching hutch to put on top for storage.

This is what it looks like now.

{{gwi:1494408}}

I'm thinking about possibly doing a configuration similar to this. Except most likely not white and with a single instead of a double sink.

{{gwi:1494410}}

I don't know what to do about a vanity top or faucet yet. But I want to get the vanity figured out before I search for a top. There are many granite shops in this area and will probably go with that, but I'll definitely have to look around. I will most likely go with tile on the floor. I don't know what yet. I am fortunate that that are plenty of tile shops near me in Northern California - if anyone has suggestions on that or granite shops in this area, let me know please. Simple things like the mirror, light, paint, and accents I'll get figured out as this progresses. I'm also considering doing something on the walls, possibly wainscoting or tiles, but I'm not sure about this. I'm just stuck on the vanity right now, both configuration and style.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Comments (3)