SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyno_gw

56K Modem May Have Died

lyno
15 years ago

I could really use some advice. I have a Dell Dimension XPS Computer running Windows XP (vintage 2004). It has a 56K PCI Telephony Modem that I think has died. Yes, I only have a dial up internet connection; very sad but true. The other day I was online when the computer started making a whining noise, next thing I knew I had the blue screen (of death?) that said it was starting to dump data and it said a whole lot more but I shut it down immediately. I rebooted and all seemed okay,that is until I tried to dial up the internet again. Boom, blue screen again. I still wasn't sure the modem was involved so I got out the books and started checking the diagnostic lights, and any other troubleshooting guidance they provided. All appeared to be fine. So I tried it again. I used that computer much of the day with no problem, so I finally tried going online and it crashed as soon as it started the dial up.

So then I set up my ancient computer that I saved for the grandkids to play on, it is a very old dell running windows 95 (LOL). Using it I've done an internet search for the same modem I had with no luck.

My question is can I replace that modem with any other 56K PCI Modem that is compatible with Windows XP? Or is there something else I need to know about the old modem?

TIA!

Comments (20)