SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Help! How Do We Fix This FUBAR Tile?

13 years ago

We live in Houston, but are building our retirement home in SC. On Sunday, our very kind neighbor sent us a series of pictures from the interior of our house.

Below are pictures of the en suite bath for the guest bedroom:

I just about died when I saw the closeup of the floor. By counting the tiles in the picture, I figure is is skewed by about 1" in 35". I can't imagine that the framer was that far off, so I've come to the conclusion that the bathtub was set in place and no one bothered to take a square to it to see if it was true.

DH went running off to SC because there were enough other issues that need to be addressed in person. He says that it is way off (not a trick of the camera as we were hoping). And, that the tub is likely the culprit because the parallel wall is off in the same way.

At this point what can we do to fix this short of tearing out the floor, the surround and the tub? I'm probably within my rights to have the builder pull everything out and do it right, but if there is some kind of workaround, I'd rather not go to that extreme.

The builder's trying to claim that when the trim, toilet, & everything get in there that it won't be noticeable. Hah! Is that likely? I can just see me obsessing about this forever & I'd rather slit my own throat than give my SIL something to comment about.

One idea I had was to tear out the tile at the edges to form a border and make the border out of square white tile set on the diagonal. I think the skew would be less noticeable that way. Would that work? Do y'all ahve any other creative ideas for how to fudge this?

Thanks for the help - Jo Ann

Comments (16)