SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

1st time convection oven user---does this sound right?

flseadog
14 years ago

We have a new GE Monogram convection wall oven (electric, ZET1, I believe). I have used the oven twice. The first time I baked a cake in regular bake mode with the oven set at 350 degrees. The oven thermometer I used to test if the oven was properly calibrated showed 350 degrees at the end of the preheat and maintained that temperature throughout the baking time. The cake turned out perfectly.

Then a few days ago I used the convection roast setting to cook to standard supermarket Cornish hens weighing about 1 3/4 lbs. each. The packaging recommended cooking them for an hour at 350. Although I normally would cook Cornish hens in my old oven for 45 minutes at 425 degrees, I set the convection roast temperature at 350 degrees. At the end of the preheat time the oven thermometer read 325 degrees and stayed at that temperature consistently throughout the cooking time. Although the hens turned out beautifully browned, juicy and tasty it took about an hour and a half for them to fully cook.

Here are my questions: 1) The user manual doesn't state that the set convection roast temperature will be lower in actual practice. Does it seem correct to you that the oven only heated to 325 when set at 350? 2) Did I make a mistake in using convection roast for the Cornish hens? In other words, is the convection roast setting more suitable for a larger bird such as a 7 lb. roasting chicken, a turkey, or something like a standing rib roast?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)