SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mandogirl

Hosting large family holiday party for the 1st time...LONG

mandogirl
15 years ago

Hi, everyone. Guess IÂm looking for some ideas and some general hand-holding. I am for the very first time hosting our annual Post-New-Year family party at my house. It will be at 2:00 in the afternoon on a Saturday in January and will be a casual buffet late lunch/early dinner, snack, and dessert party. So far everyone has said that theyÂre attending (aack!). This means 32 adults (including a few men who eat like football players) plus 17 kids (5 kids are teenagers and the other 11 kids are under age 6).This is the biggest crowd of people IÂve ever hosted in my house. Historically some of these people pop in at the party and leave in an hour or two. Some stay for the duration. Some stay and stay and stayÂzzzzzz.

HereÂs what IÂm thinking for food (no one is vegetarian BTW):

1 gorgonzola veggie lasagna (already volunteered by my mother), 8 portions

1 traditional meat lasagna (already volunteered by an aunt), 8 portions

Big tray o Macaroni & cheese for the kids (made by me)

Meatball sandwiches (cateredÂa large tray of meatballs supposedly feeds 15 people)

Some other kind of sandwich on same Kaiser-type rolls that IÂll put out for the meatballs. HereÂs where I need help: should it be another hot sandwich? Roast beef? Roast turkey? Or instead should I do a lunch meat & cheese platter?

Should I have some kind of non-sandwich chicken cutlet thing (chicken parm or marsala or lemon chicken)? My cousin who hosted last year had a tray of chicken as well as sandwiches. Everything got eaten.

Sides: again, IÂm open to suggestions. IÂm thinking a leafy green salad, a pasta salad, and a Caesar salad. (Or is the pasta salad too much with the lasagna and meatball sandwiches?) Some other side?

Hors dÂouvres/snacks: HereÂs what I expect a lot of folks will volunteer to bring. I already have a taco dip and a plate of spinach balls promised. DH is making falafel and dip for the falafel. IÂll get potato chips, veggie tray, chips and salsa, pita & hummus, and cheeses and crackers. IÂd like to do a hot dip but IÂm not sure what kind yet. Other ideas?

Desserts: Again I hope some folks volunteer to bring some desserts. IÂd like to make a batch or two of chocolate chip cookies for the kids (and adults!). IÂll also make either an apple pie or a cake of some kind. My son is peanut allergic so I have to be really careful about purchased desserts and am telling everyone bringing anything to let me know what theyÂre bringing ahead of time. Home made stuff is really the best way to control the allergy issue, but I also donÂt have time to bake a lot and donÂt want to demand that people bake for me. Maybe IÂll make one pie and get a (I know, god forbid) a nut-free cake mix and make that too. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

- mando

Comments (23)