SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

Router install and internet connection question-please help!

lsst
15 years ago

I purchased and installed a Belkin wireless router F5D8236-4.

I did the auto install that Belkin offers with its CD.

The wireless computers work fine but I can no longer connect to the internet with my wired computer that has the router and modem connected to it..

Earthlink is my provider and I use Mozilla Firefox as my browser.

I contacted Earthlink and mentioned to them my PPPOE light was not on and that I could not connect to the internet.

They sent me to a web address with all numbers.

The PPPOE light turned green and I can access web sites but can not receive and send e-mail through my computer. It tells me to connect and that I am working offline.

I called Earthlink again and the tech had me join TeamViewer 4.

I downloaded the free trial version and installed it but could not access it beyond the main page. A box appeared that stated I was on a proxy server and could not connect and that I needed to connect through my computer. The Earthlink tech could not get connected to my computer through TeamViewer and at some point we got disconnected.

When I mentioned to the Earthlink Tech I had added a router, the tech told me I could not add a wireless router without paying them a monthly service fee.

I had problems with not being able to connect a few years ago and the Earthlink Tech advised me to add a new connection where every time I want to connect, I have to click on network connections and click on a Wan Miniport PPPOE connection and add a user ID and passcode. I did that and have been accessing the internet that way as well as through Earthlink until I installed the router.

When I try to connect though the Wan Miniport PPPOE, I get an error code- Error 678- the remote computer did not respond.

When I try to access my e-mail and connect through my Earthlink icon, a box states unable to connect to Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

When I check on the status of all my hardware and the modem, everything is working properly.

I am at my wits end as to this problem.I spent 5 hours yesterday trying to connect as well as two calls to Earthlink. The only way I can access my e-mail is to go to Earthlink's site and access it there.

As far as security issues, should I worry that I am on a proxy server?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Comments (18)