SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scrappy25

crossposting How high to mount a 24 inch deep, 36 inch wide hood?

scrappy25
9 years ago

I have read all 50 plus of the previous hood height mounting threads but people do not always mention the depth of their hood.

I posted this in the Kitchens forum but got only one response.

I am considering using a thermador PHH36DS (in my possesion, bought on clearance a while back) which is a standard under cabinet type hood with a 600 cfm blower above a 36 inch Gaggenau induction oven. The hood is 24 inches deep, 12 inches high, and 36 inches wide. The front edge is 3.5 inches tall. I was considering 30 inches above the cooktop which would be 66 inches from the ground. Fine for me but my husband is 5'8" (68 inches tall) and it seems like this might be a perfect head banger for him at the 24 inch depth and 66 inches off the ground. Didn't really realize this until I got the 3Ds from the kitchen designer and it sticks out almost to the edge of the counters. I am planning inset cabinets so that the counter edge will only be .75 inches past the edge of this hood.
Also, I read this thread which raised my anxiety about these deep hoods (also linked below) and head-banging at the 30 inch height.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg082231514902.html

So my specific question for you appliance gurus is this- can I raise this hood to 32 inches over the cooktop? The thermador installation manual says "Typical hood height above the cooktop is 24 to 30 inches". There is no mention of "recommended" or "required.", How much am I compromising the air intake with this slight increase in height? The main gaggenau induction burner that we will be using is in the dead center of the cooktop. The top and lower cabinets will each be pulled out about 2.5 inches along that run so there will be increased depth in the back that will be covered by a stainless plate.

thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood hood design mistake- 24 inch deep , 30 inches over cooktopm head banger

Comments (2)