SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mech8t7

Help...they're telling us that our 27 inch hood is too deep

mech8t7
15 years ago

Our kitchen is just a couple of weeks of being completed and we just took delivery of the appliances this week.

The kitchen is not that big. A portion of the cabinetry run in our kitchen is "L" shaped along two walls with a 36" Wolf rangetop (4 burners and a griddle) centered at the bottom of the "L".

The kitchen cabinet installer and GC were looking at our 42" wide x 27" deep Wolf 900 CFM professional style rangehood and they both expressed concern that the 24" deep model of the same rangehood would have been the proper size for our kitchen. Part of their concern is from the fact that the corner of the upper cabinets is only about 12 inches away from the side of the hood and the deeper protruding hood makes access to those cabinets awkward. But they are mainly concerned that the 27" rangehood will dominate the look of the kitchen. (They haven't actually installed it yet but, for reference, have made a "mock-up" of the volume using cardboard and tape.)

I'm prepared to change the hood to 24" deep...even though our kitchen appliance store will not exchange and is only prepared to resell the 27" hood for us on consignment. But Wolf recommends the 27" for a rangetop with a griddle and I am not convinced that the 27" will look out of scale compared to the 24", since the height and width will be exactly the same as the 27" hood. Moreover, I'd have to also make arrangements to exchange the 20" riser with shelf for the rangetop, since we got accessory to facilitate the use of with the heat lamps that come with the 27" hood but are not included with the 24" hood.

Any thoughts/suggestions on whether we'll regret changing to a 24" deep hood?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Comments (7)