SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlong9

Capital Culinarian Wolf Demo - Eurostove visit

jlong9
13 years ago

Background

Just got back from a trip to Eurostove to see the Capital Culinarian first hand. Heres a little background on how I came to flying from Milwaukee to Boston to see a range: We are remodeling our kitchen and I was very close to purchasing a BlueStar, but then the Culinarian came to existence. I am not one for having to purchase the newest and latest thing, but I am for thoroughly researching and purchasing the best products that meet my specific needs. In case of the range that we plan on putting into our new kitchen, I was completely ignorant when I began my research. My wife and I love to cook, but have never taken the time to get the best range for our cooking needs. Our first thought was that we needed a dual oven (because that is what all the sales people say). We knew we wanted a gas top and we thought we wanted an electric oven. I have never been a fan of the sealed burners (we currently have a GE profile) and the way they shoot the flames outward and on the outside of my pans, but I didnt know there were any other options for residential kitchens. I thought the higher end ranges (Wolf, Thermador, etc) would somehow take care of this issue, but they did not. It wasnt until I came on this forum that I realized something else existed that addressed my issues with the sealed burner the open burner! Further research showed that gas ovens are capable of cooking evenly (with improvements to thermostat technology and location).

Wolf Demo

I went to a Wolf demo to see if I was wrong in my assumption that the open burner was the way to go. If those in attendance (about 15) represented all Wolf owners, than I have to say that people who buy Wolf are not interested in cooking, but are interested in showing off their expensive appliance to their dinner party guests, while their caterers use their equipment. They expect the appliance (especially the oven) to make them incredible cooks, why else would they ooh and ahh about auto shut off and program settings like "pizza stone". There was even a debate on why did they even bother getting a gas range when the induction range seemed to be the newest and neatest gadget! After I commented to the salesman (away from the crowd) that it seemed that most people at this demo dont actually cook, he said "well that represents a majority of our customers". I know this is not true of ALL Wolf users and I have to admit that being an engineer I was impressed with the gadgets, but overall the demo finalized my decision not to go with Wolf or the sealed / semi-sealed burners.

Eurostove visit

Trevor picked my wife and I up from Logan and took us to Eurostove. Along the way we asked a lot of questions regarding service, Capitals history, his history, etc He was very open, honest and did not shy away from difficult questions not your typical salesman or dealer. After going over the range in fine detail (grates, griddle, burners, oven door and racks, cleaning, etc) he left us to get some food for us to cook I wanted to see how well it would sear lamb chops, do a stir fry, use the griddle and how well the oven would cook a pizza (without a pizza stone setting J).The front burners do put out some intense heat and all the pictures and video are right on the flame is well concentrated towards the center. Trevor returned with all that we requested, plus a couple of whole chickens to try the rotisserie and some steaks. My wife commented that we wouldn't have time to cook the chicken, but Trevor said it would only take about an hour to do the rotisserie, which surprised my wife who does the roasting in the family. The lamb chops seared perfectly on high the browning was incredibly even. We then placed the chops directly into the 400 F oven for 8 minutes and they turned out great. While I stir-fried some vegetables, my wife cooked some tri-tip steak on the griddle. Trevor said they made a Wok grate that replaces the original grate, but did not have one on hand. He did go into some detail regarding using this new grate on the Capital versus dropping it into the Bluestar. There is already a detailed discussion on another thread, but seeing what he talks about first hand (regarding smothering the flame) I think the Capital will perform better with the new grate. Regardless, the Wok used directly on the original grate worked very well and made some very crisp and tasty veggies. The high heat gave the vegetables a flavor that I have never experienced at home. My wife did a great job cooking the steak on the griddle and is excited to use it. We then test drove the rotisserie. Pictures, words or video does not do this justice. We purchase rotisserie chicken from the grocery store about once a week to feed our 18-month son and ourselves and we have had very good ones and very dry and inedible ones. The chickens that came out of the Capital were the best that we have EVER had! The skin was totally crispy (not chewy) and the meat was the juiciest chicken meat ever experienced. We have already eaten so much by this time, but we couldnt help ourselves from eating this incredible chicken. Again, you must see this first hand to believe it. We then did a pizza on a pizza stone at 500 F. The pizza baked very evenly. It also gave me a chance to touch the door after being at 500 F. The door could be touched everywhere without ever feeling you had to remove your hand. I asked Trevor to spot-check some areas with his digital thermometer and the highest temperature I saw was 100 F. The water boiling test on the Wolf, BlueStar and Capital was also very impressive (this was discussed in other forums). The evenness of the boiling and the large size of the bubbles that were produced by the Capital were consistent with what others have said.

Overall impressions/concerns

Of course it is concerning getting a range that has not been used in any home kitchens as of yet, but having read the forums about Capitals president, Capitals track record thus far and my belief that Trevor will address any issues that may come up quickly and thoroughly, makes those concerns less of a factor. Why am I getting a Capital Culinarian versus a BlueStar? The heat distribution on the Capital range top, the rotisserie, the self-cleaning oven, and I am happy to support competition in an arena that seems to have been lacking in such. BlueStar should be thankful that this range is coming to market it will make them better in the long run and promote the open burner design (possibly even beyond this forum!). Look forward to getting the Culinarian in August/September and will be sure to post (good or bad) my experiences.

Comments (23)