SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcipher_gw

Visit to eurostoves (long)

dcipher
13 years ago

Just got back from my visit to eurostoves. Like many of you, we (my wife and I) were there to see the Capital Culinarian for ourselves. Fortunately, we live about 30 minutes from the store, so we called ahead and Trevor had 2 chickens going on the rotisserie when we arrived. They had also gone to the market and picked up a few ingredients we needed to cook a meal my wife cooks frequently.

This was my first experience cooking with a 48" range (and my wife's first time cooking with gas). I'm a mechanical engineer and was really interested in how well the range was made. I also wanted to cook a couple of things and have my wife do the same - want to make sure she would actually like cooking with gas before buying ANY gas range.

I had also heard a lot of good things about cooking with induction cooktops and was interested in how a great gas range would compare against a great induction cooktop. The first test we did was boiling water. Yes, a small pot of water boiled very quickly, I had heard you could just pull the pot off the cooktop and it would be warm, but wouldn't be hot. Wrong. It was 180 degrees + as measured by a temperature probe - and cool water that we dribbled on the cooktop steamed off. So, one major selling feature was gone... After that test, I asked Trevor his opinion of cooking with induction - "no life." OK - so, got induction out of my head.

So, back to the CC. While the chickens were in the oven, we cooked steak, burgers and chicken on the grill. While those were cooking, we fired up the wok and made some stir fry. I was impressed by how quickly the wok heated up and how quickly we were able to cook up the chicken... removed the chicken, cooked up veggies, added sauce & meat and poof, we had a great meal cooked very quickly. Definitely worth getting the wok ring if you do any wok cooking.

The stir fry tasted great. Next the burgers, chicken and steak were ready - all from the grill. The steak was nice, chicken came out like typical grilled chicken and the burgers, well, my least favorite. Definitely lots of smoke/smells from the grill and well worth having a nice range hood to capture it all.

Meanwhile, the chicken was still going in the oven and the the front of the oven was just a bit warm - inside 500 degrees, outside, a bit warm. nice. No heat loss around the sides of the oven. Chicken finished cooking and all i have to say is... wow. That's the biggest selling feature by far, well worth the extra money for the self clean just to get the rotisserie! We were left with an amazing tasting chicken, very juicy and the only thing in the drip pan was fat.

We prepped and cooked another meal - pasta with grilled chicken, asparagus, tomato and feta. This is a meal my wife is used to making. I was hoping she would see a huge difference cooking with the CC than our old GE electric. She did a great job, even with a few people watching her and the meal came out great.

So, how much time were we there? About 90 minutes cooking. We cooked A LOT of food in very little time and it all (well almost all) came out great. I'm completely sold on the range, as is my wife. Although I think we would be a lot happier with ANY cooktop compared to what we have now (old GE electric circa 1985). I love the quality of the range, manual control, open burners, rotisserie. The CC will be the focus of our new kitchen.

I am still concerned about what happens if Capital goes out of business - will we be able to get parts? What about eurostoves - what happens if they don't survive? I'm pretty confident I could still get parts and being an engineer, confident I could install them on my own - they definitely keep it simple.

While there's a long wait to get a new range, we have plenty of time as our project hasn't started yet. Definitely glad we decided to go there early in the process - now I have time to order exactly what I want. Yes, it's a splurge, but well worth it in my opinion.

All in all - a successful visit with Trevor. No-nonsense, no sales pitches, just cooking and letting the product speak for itself. I highly recommend it for anyone in the market for a new range.

Comments (21)

• enmnm (6b)
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What is "no life"?

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

1. When you poured the water on the gas stove while it was active, what happened?
    2. As an ME, the concept of heat transfer should not be a surprise to you.
    3. I have no life either. Should I now rip out my stove and start over?

• Related Discussions

Visit to Burgards-end (long)

Q

Comments (1)
    Venita Fay has such wide falls; very appealing form. Standing Proud is a bit too unruly ruffled for my taste. Thanks again for posting these.
    ...See More

Visit to Gardens in Lincoln, etc. (long...)

Q

Comments (5)
    That's a beautiful garden there in Lincoln, thanks for sharing as I haven't visited your state since I was a young child. Killer shots of Abe, really like the looks of his blooms. Randy
    ...See More

Don't wait to long to visit cancer friends

Q

Comments (13)
    The one thing that you can always tell the person you are visiting is how much they mean to you...Back in the days when we thought I was going to die, the number of friends and family that visited and told me how much they cared about me was shocking..even our children...I always knew the our children loved me but my husbands children who had only been in my life for some 20 something years, made an extra effort to show their love for me and to even tell me how much I meant to them and how much having me in there lives had mean't to them...When you don't know if you have another month it's important to know that you have made an impact so I say don't be hesitant to visit or to share how you feel...I actually had to start taking anti depressants because my emotions were so raw... They went from saying a quick ..."Love Ya" to "Ruthie I Love you so much"...Yes they call me Ruthie...They were way to old to start calling me Mom and their real Mom would have had a coming unglued if she had ever heard them call me that so we just stuck with Ruthie which they started calling me when they met me..Even some of the Grands call me Ruthie for the same reason...that GrandMother would just cause them too much grief and I don't want that for them and Ruthie is fine for me.... This post was edited by ruthieg__tx on Thu, Mar 6, 14 at 13:41
    ...See More

Visiting a public toilet- very funny (long)

Q

Comments (2)
    Excellent!! I had to use a public bathroom today at JC Penney's...it was so clean I almost expected to see an attendant on duty offering to spray me with perfume!...we had a long drawn out conversation at work Friday night about people who can NOT use a bathroom in public...I'll now have this story in my mind everytime I watch someone go into the bathroom on the plane...maybe I should tell them about putting their purse around their neck..what a way to start up a conversation with someone!!
    ...See More
  • enmnm (6b)
    13 years ago

Yes, that is a good point. The induction cooktop was hot NOT because of the energy it had produced, but because the PAN was hot. It is similar to putting a hot pan on a trivet. The trivet gets hot because of the pan.

Anyway, the things that the OP likes about the CC is the grill and oven. IMHO, these are not the same as a cooktop. They are all used to cook different things.

I still want to know what "no life" cooking means.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

If I were to hazard a guess, if Capital went out of business, its property would be sold (probably at auction) and the most likely buyer of its spare parts, and possibly even of its inventory of existing unsold ranges, would be a repair shop or a distributor for repair shops. They would buy the parts in order to set themselves up as the go-to people for all the owners of Capital ranges.

I mean, there are places you can go to buy the parts for motorcycles last built in 1975, for ranges built by companies that went out of business 50 years ago, etc. So I would think there will be places you can go to get Capital parts. And with you being an engineer, you should be able to figure out how to install said parts even after the last certified Capital repairman has passed from this earth.
    :-)

• dcipher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

> 1. When you poured the water on the gas stove while it was active, what happened?

It turned to stone. But, one time, it actually turned into a diamond.

>2. As an ME, the concept of heat transfer should not be a surprise to you.

right. But then again, I'm not much of a thermo guy.

> 3. I have no life either. Should I now rip out my stove and start over?

Yes. It will give you something to do! Personally, I LOVE my 1985 kitchen. The appliances all work perfectly, but since I have no life either, I've decided to do some home "improvements" to make my life miserable for 4 - 5 months.

Seriously now... I definitely don't want to make this an "induction vs. gas" thread. Compared to my current stove, ANY new stove/range would be an improvement. I really like the look and feel of the capital, really like the double ovens and all of the features I mentioned. I would honestly be happy with ANY upgraded cooktop - anything would be better than my 1.5 usable burners now (and one of those is at a 20 degree angle). I grew up cooking with gas, thought induction was the way to go based on some friend's advice, but ultimately decided it isn't for me...

When Trevor spoke of the induction as being lifeless, I got what he meant - that's how i feel about cooking on electric cooktops - never liked them, feel like i have more control and interaction with gas. Just like driving a car with a manual transmission vs. automatic - yeah, my current "automatic" is faster, gets better gas mileage, etc. but I still wish it were a manual...

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Right, dcipher. IMO, cooking with gas means cooking with "life." There is something about being able to adjust the flame -- in the tiniest of increments-- and to know that, by doing so, you are either raising or lowering the heat on the pot or pan. Turning a knob or dial or pushing a button in order to raise or lower the heat just doesn't make for a "knowing" interaction.

At this point, I've cooked with gas my whole life and really don't know how to cook any other way. The few times I've encountered an electric coil or ceramic top range, I've always felt "distanced' and uncertain from the food I was preparing. That said, and before you electric/induction fans rush for my scalp, please know that I do know it's all just a matter of product familiarity. Plus, there are just way too many consumers who swear by electric/induction cooking for me to try and say it doesn't work as well as cooking with gas. Still, in my book, there is nothing like working with a live flame. (Thank goodness I didn't grow up cooking all my meals on a campfire! lol) I doubt I will ever be trained over to anything else -- no matter where the technology takes us.

• gbsim1
    13 years ago

Dcipher and wife... I will also be new to gas. Was there any feel when doing your "usual" dishes that you had too much heat? Any problems things burning instead of browning?
    What was your final decision on the grill? Getting one?
    What is the current wait time from order to delivery?

• dcipher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

gbsim:
    While browning the chicken, my wife thought she was burning it, but that was really because she's used to cooking with non-stick pans - a little oil in the pan solved the problem and the meal came out great.

Grill - yes. I love grilling, so it's a great way for me to grill throughout the winter.

Wait time is about 9 - 10 weeks.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Imho, there is no induction stove that compares in build quality to any professional gas stove, with the possible exception of the Dacor(?). I've never seen one.

That said, to get there one must look at separate cooktops and ovens.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Alto I have Induction, and Love it, I am a CC fan due to the fact that I'm a "Native Californian" and I love to see my fellow Californians employed----I really appreciate the fact that the CC is made in the US, and Calif in particular!

Now saying that (above) "Directly Below" is just "Pure PoppyCock"!

"The first test we did was boiling water. Yes, a small pot of water boiled very quickly, I had heard you could just pull the pot off the cooktop and it would be warm, but wouldn't be hot. Wrong. It was 180 degrees + as measured by a temperature probe - and cool water that we dribbled on the cooktop steamed off. So, one major selling feature was gone"

(Course we do have a lotta Poppies in Calif)!!!

Outside I have a "RAGING INFERNO"---- A 2 burner DCS cooktop along side my BBQ. I even had to add an additional regulator to it to "Tame it down a bit"--but it is still
    "Ferocious" and even turned all the way down --- to just where a breeze won't blow the flame out, you need to constantly stir stuff and watch it carefully to see "that"
    That which is in the pan doesn't burn!!

Now lets turn that blast furnace up all the way and boil some water. Lets do the same with My Elux Induction.
    NO CONTEST, The induction is more than twice as fast.
    In fact go back to the water boiling contest that Mojavean and I had, (He using his Blue Star and I, My induction)
    The Induction was twice as fast and I made no effort to match hubs/pans, nor did I use the largest hub as I recall.

We invited Trevor to join this race but He gave a dozen or so "Scientific Reasons" why He couldn't Sheeeeshh!!!!
    I had no idea boiling water was "Rocket Science".

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed your experience with CC and Eurostoves. Were I a gasser that is certainly what I would buy----buttttt-----I don't think we do "Anybody any favours" by giving them the idea that gas is going keep up with Induction when boiling water, that's like asking a
    vdub bug to keep up with one of my Dodges, That ain't gonna happen unless I run outta gas, and with Induction, U Wont!!!!!!

Gary

• friedajune
    13 years ago

I think the perfect combo is the gas open burner range, and just have an induction hob on the side, to boil water quickly, and the like. You can buy an induction hob for a few hundred, plug it in on your counter when needed; or go fancier and get a 2-burner 15" built-in (integrated) induction top next to your range.

Dcipher - I really enjoyed reading your review. I am amazed you cooked all that food in 90 minutes. Do you have any pics?

• dcipher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am more amazed that we ate most of it. Sorry, no pics, I didn't think of taking any at the time.

What I've come away with from this so far is that there's no right or wrong - it's really a matter of personal preference. I really appreciate everyone's opinions. As an engineer, I believe induction is technically a better way to go (much more efficient, easier to clean), but my right brain says it loves cooking with gas and the look and feel of a gas range, go figure.

I'd love to have: 4 gas burners, 2 induction hobs, a grill, a large convection oven (gas) and another smaller oven (electric) - but my given the realities of space & money & aesthetics, the 48" all gas range is for me.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    13 years ago

I agree with Gary, I think induction is faster to boil water than the culinarian. The reason we did the test was not to show how fast it boils but how hot the cook top was after boiling said water.

When I said "No Life" what I mean by that is, in my opinion cooking on an induction cooktop is not very interactive, I feel it takes away some of the fun of cooking, maybe its a primeval man thing (the need for fire), having said that when it comes around to clean up Induction is very simply just run a damp cloth over it.

I think the OP's analogy is right on the money with the car, Auto vs Manual you feel much more involved in the experiance of driving in a manual car.

• kaseki
    13 years ago

To reduce the heat flow from the hot pan bottom to the induction cooktop, it is necessary to insulate the gap between them, which must be minimal. Silicone pads are suitable for this task, and aid in other ways.

Maybe its time for another Eurostoves measurement series -- how long one can hold his hand on an induction cooktop that has just boiled water when using various insulator spacers versus holding his hand on the grate of the CC after boiling the same amount of water. (Just kidding, we all know the answer.)

kas

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Like you, I'm an Engineer, an Electronic Engineer.
    I'm glad you are buying the stove and keeping at least
    some of our Californians working.

Being the Engineering type, I couldn't help but challenge the remarks about Induction (as "Subdued" as they may have been).

I do enjoy the raging inferno outside, looking at the flames, charring peppers, and even cooking on it.

But I certainly do not think I come inside to a "Dead Kitchen". I find the induction truly exciting, How fast the bubbles start when you boil water, how fast they go away when you turn it down----The Incredible control you have over it, and covering the thing with paper towels and frying bacon on it----It truly amazes folks that I demonstate it to.

Here's a great example of what that control does for you.
    Wife leaving for work, She says "Put the Stew on at 3 O'clock". Set the burner to "2".
    Now try that with gas????? NO WAY JOSE Do you think she could even explain the amount/size of flame I should use?

So as many mention here, both gas and induction have their places, I just prefer my gas outside.

Thanks again for supporting our Californians!!!

Gary

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Here's a great example of what that control does for you.
    Wife leaving for work, She says "Put the Stew on at 3 O'clock". Set the burner to "2". Now try that with gas????? NO WAY JOSE Do you think she could even explain the amount/size of flame I should use?

And, as someone who cooks and who enjoys cooking live , that comment right there makes exactly my point. lol

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    13 years ago

I totally agree with Kas if you insulate the pan from the cooktop it will not be reach 180 + degrees (but it does get close with silicone mat I used), not sure how many people would use an insulator for day to day cooking, but it is a fact

Never scared to show results ( I did however decline the direct hand test)

Test Results

Surface temp under silicone Mat 176 degrees
    Surface temp under Dish towel 164 degrees
    Cast Iron Grate temp 547 degrees

The point I was trying to make with the customer was, despite what sales people say the glass on an induction cooktop does get hot.

Just to be clear

Will the elctrolux boil water faster..... YES
    Is a cast iron grate hotter after cooking.YES

• plllog
    13 years ago

This thread is so sad!!

Dcipher gave us a beautiful review of a new range that he and his wife both enjoyed using. Okay, I would have liked it if they'd baked cookies and yeast buns as well, but it's still a great review that tested many of the rest of the abilities of the range. Instead of appreciating the unbiased hands on trial of Dcipher's DW, we're carping on an offhand comment of Trevor's?

I have both Wolf gas and Gaggenau induction cooktops. I can only relate to the "life" comment in that the gas sucks up oxygen like a dragon, in addition to the gonzo hood sucking up more with its great sucking breath (can anyone spell make-up air?). I feel like the induction gives me more control and lets me focus more on the food and less on the fire.

So...what? Yes, the whole heat transfer to just boiled cooktop measure is trivial (and my induction flashes "h" when an element is too hot to touch as a reminder), but Dcipher obviously had misunderstood what was meant when we said that induction stays cool. That means that the adjacent areas to the element stay cool enough to clean up spills, to not crust on spill that aren't cleaned, and to not burn paper put under the pan, not that you can touch it after boiling. I understand that if he had thought that might be a draw for him, he might be disappointed that it wasn't the case.

Instead, we're sniping about it!

I love my cooking appliances. I've been cooking ever so much on them! They're lovely to use. But when asked to recommend a gas range, I mentioned the Culinarian as one whose features suited the cook in question. It seems like a lovely range and people are very happy so far with the performance. I'm sure Mr. & Mrs. Dcipher will be happy with it. And it was very generous of them to share their thoughts. Why can't we just wish them well with their new range and their new kitchen?

Thank-you, Dcipher, for a lovely review. All the best to you both with your new kitchen to come.

• thusie
    13 years ago

And thank you plllog!

Very nice review Dcipher enjoy your new kitchen and range:-)

• dcipher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well said plllog!

I don't mind having these discussions (actually, I rather enjoy them), but the point of my post was really to just talk about my impressions of the CC and eurostoves - both VERY positive. As Trevor said, the induction test was just a little side test he showed me to dispel my notion that the induction cooktop only gets warm to the touch and not hot.

Anyway, my wife and I left feeling great about our visit and can't wait to get our project under way... we've been waiting to do this for over 5 years, and we're finally ready to move forward. Just gotta get a couple of feet of snow out of the way!

• ontherocks
    13 years ago

@dcipher, nice to hear you had a nice experience up there at the Eurostove shop as well. Isn't that great little "culinary playground?!" I am in the same boat as you, I've got the CC in my sights.....If I could only commit to all of my kitchen reno elements.