SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spanky_md

Bathroom exhaust fan not connected to vent!

spanky_md
9 years ago

I own a small condo built in 1978. It's on the middle floor of a three story building and construction is all concrete.

The bathroom has never had any updating and is in sore need of it. I knew the bathroom exhaust fan didn't do much actual exhausting but figured it was just because it was 36 years old. I am planning a total renovation of the bathroom but it's probably at least a year off. However, I need more lighting in there now and thought I could maybe just put in a new fan/light fixture now rather than waiting.

I removed the old plastic cover and discovered that all there was in there was the standard fan and motor unit. No vent at all. No duct. The fan still worked well and was sucking a lot of air up but the air just being forced back into the room from around the shallow box containing the unit.

I'm sure this isn't code. I am waiting to be approved for the Yahoo message board group for owners to see if any anyone else has dealt with this.

The washer/dryer is in the bathroom and the dryer vent is a few feet away from the bathroom fan location. From what I understand, you should not connect the bathroom exhaust into the dryer vent, right?

I don't know how possible it is to run a whole new duct to the exterior of the building. I don't think I can run it up the roof because I'm on the middle floor.

This is the housing after I took the fan out. It is completely closed above that round cut-out. The entire housing is only about 3" deep.

Comments (8)