SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dainaadele

A finished bath: Over the top, but 'no money'. -lots of pic

dainaadele
14 years ago

Here is the "as is" when we moved in.

As we added on a second story, this bath has gone from main bath to basically a daytime potty room. (An advantage here was that I really did not need to build in much storage space.) We wound up needing to move the tub for a HVAC duct for upstairs (it was just to the right of the door), and then also cut into the wall in another spot for load bearing issues, and redo the plumbing because of the upstairs bath... to so one thing lead to another and we wound up redoing the whole bath. I put a soaking tub in here as it is now the only bath with a tub at all. (The eternal resale issue.) There was not much of a budget, so believe it or not, this was done on a shoestring over 2 years.

The ceiling is when we got it had cheap cardboard-like tiles covering a cracked plaster ceiling. I replaced them with 2x2' plywood with 1x2" trim and glued on doodads made with the tablesaw and belt sander. The wainscotting is also plywood glued and nailed over old cracking plaster. Chandelier- a under $30 ebay puchase that was bright brass to start. I spray painted it. The "stained glass" is the paint you can buy at a hobby shop, most people are fooled by it.

The floor is 2x2' plywood decorated with a wood burner, glued over a nasty wood floor. All to the plywood has 4 coats of oil based poly and the floor has 6. The fixtures are basically the cheaper ones avail from Menards. The only thing I spent extra on was when I picked out a drop in tub, I got a larger one for soaking. The wall paper is on line purchase on clearance for about $20.

Even the art is left over glass, cut to sandwich old magazine bathroom ads with glued on glass dots. (I still have to get a silver marker to write in the years of the ads in the space open blow the picture. Ther are all from the 1920's) In the picture above you can see my trash can. Which is also a glass vase from WalMart with the same glass dots glued on. (I wound up doing that because it only cost $7 vs buying a stainless steel trash can for $12.)

Yes the plywood may delaminate in about 10 years, but then we should have the time and money to remodel it WITH a budget. And if it stays intact, all the better. The moral of the story: just because there is no money, does not mean you have to look cheap. My husband calls it the "Calgon Bathroom."

Comments (18)