SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineerchic_gw

Hall Bath - Almost finished!

EngineerChic
11 years ago

There have been a few threads lamenting the lack of finished bathrooms posted here ... and although this isn't finished it is pretty close.

First pic: This is the layout of the second floor we added to our house. We used to have 1 tiny hall bath with 3 bedrooms (2 of them were 10'x9' including the closet and sloping ceilings of a Cape, so definitely not palatial). The new second floor has 3 bedrooms that are reasonably sized, a modest hall bath, and a small master bath. I'm actually pleased with how much space & functionality we crammed into our 24' x 34' space. I outlined the space you're looking at in red dashed lines.

You might be wondering WHY we would plan for a window to overlap the tub area. Good question! We didn't. The original plan had this bathroom flipped 180, so the toilet & vanity were on the wall where the tub is, and the tub/linen closet were on the other wall. The waste stack that was in the house didn't quite line up for that, and it was easier to run a new waste stack through the closet in a downstairs bedroom ... if we flipped the floor plan. So we did.

This is the view from the door. We are not done painting, obviously, and haven't hung a TP holder yet (which makes sense, considering we haven't hung the DOOR back on the hinges yet):

Toilet is American Standard, Floor is a vinyl that looks like tile (fools everyone who sees it, they have gone high def on printing vinyl patterns). Medicine cabinet is Kohler. Sconces are from Restoration Hardware.

The tub ...

The shower curtain is from Restoration Hardware (their outlet). I'm not crazy about the color of it with the rest of the room, to be honest, and will probably replace it. I do love the color of the shower curtain itself, though, so I'll slice it into wide strips and use them to add bands of color to some plain white curtains I have for the master bedroom. I'm waiting until I find a shower curtain I like better. Curtain rod is just a Moen curved one, and the curve in it covers the window edge that should have never been in the tub to begin with :)

And the back of the tub:

The niche is a Noble niche. I wanted that one, even though my big bottle of conditioner wouldn't fit. I like having a separate shelf for my razor. The tile is just white 4x4 with a black half-round liner & strips of mosaic from Home Depot. The shower/tub valves are the horribly complicated Kohler Bancroft suite. Yes, there are more controls in this tub than most cockpits, but that's Kohler for you :)

View of the vanity from inside the room. I LOVE this vanity! 2 drawers offer great storage and super organization. The color is hard to see in these pics but it's a darkish mahogany (not as dark as Espresso stain and has a bit of red in it). I bought it off Craigslist. The exhaust fan is on a timer (the weird switch next to the light switch) with 6 different settings (1, 5, 10, 20, 30, 60 minutes).

The paint color was a "custom" mix because I didn't like the color I bought. So I kept mixing in bits of paint from my office until I had a shade I liked.

And a gratuitous shot of the granite. The yard called it Nepal White & its from a remnant. I liked the way it reminded me of flowing water. To be honest, the piece in the master bathroom looks more like flowing water than this one.

So, that's it. I'm already showering & getting ready in there - just not using the toilet (until I hang the door & put the door knob on).

Comments (11)