SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpovey

Weird permissions problem with files

cpovey
15 years ago

Greetings,

Long time GW member, mostly in Kitchen and appliances.

Having a problem at work, where I manage a small network (7 computers and 4 printers). We store 95% of our files on a shared folder on one computer. Have been running this way for 5+ years with no real problems.

Recently, I have run into a problem with accessing some files, primarily, but not always, with MS Publisher files. I cannot open or copy the files to the other computers.

I have checked and they are NOT write protected or hidden, and don't seem to have any other restrictions on them. They open just fine on the shared computer. They used to open on the other computers, but not they will not open or allow themselves to be copied to the other computers.

The error message I get when I try and open the file says "The file S:/ ...(path and file name) is locked because it is currently being used by another program. Please close the other program and then try opening or importing the file again."

I KNOW no other user is working on the files. I KNOW that the same version of Publisher is on all the machines.

I have rebooted all computers, checked individual file permissions, checked folder permissions, etc. All to no avail.

All computers running XP-the shared machine runs XP Professional, the others XP Home. The shared is a 2+ year old Dell, the others are 3-5 year old eMachines. No new or changed computers or network changes in more than 2 years.

Any ideas?

Thanks, in advance.

Colin

Comments (4)