SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ferroplasm

Company installed AC without my permission

ferroplasm Zone 7b
10 years ago

You read that correctly. I received 3 quotes from local HVAC companies on a Friday. I received two of the estimates from the techs before they left. The salesman from the third company promised he would email me the estimate later that night. I called him to follow-up and make sure that he would get me the estimate soon, as "we will be making a decision soon." Those were my exact words. I did not see the estimate in my email Friday night. I looked again Saturday morning and did not see it. Saturday afternoon, I figured my spam filter (gmail) might have caught it. Yep, found it in the spam folder.

Fast forward to Monday when I get home from work and see my old compressor had been removed and a Lennox 14ACX-036-230 had been installed. I knew which company did it, as they were the only one that carried Lennox. I went under the crawlspace to look at the installation and saw a few problems. Water was steadily leaking from the supply plenum. It appeared that the pump that moves the water from the drip pan wasn't working. There was gallons of water in my crawlspace.

Also, my furnace blower was cycling on and off at 15-20 second intervals while the AC compressor continued to run. Something was wrong there; not sure what.

A few other things were not completed. The hole where the lineset comes through the brick wasn't patched up. There was installation debris throughout the crawlspace. And no note was left saying anyone would return.

After a thorough look-over, I called the salesman and asked why they installed the unit. He thought I agreed to the install when I talked to him on the phone Friday. I told him that our conversation was even before I had seen the estimate and he agreed that he had made a mistake.

I asked him to send our the install techs to take care of the leaking drip pan and the blower motor on the furnace. They came our after an hour of so and fix the drip, saying there must have been some debris clogging the drain line.

The blower motor on the furnace was more of a problem. They said that it was something wrong with the board, and essentially the furnace could no communicate w/ the thermostat. They set the furnace blower to run non-stop to temporarily solve the issue. I should mention that the install techs were saying something about having to "jump the board" or "jump off the board" during the installation. Could they have damaged the board? It has always run fine in the past, though it was installed in 1995. They said cost for a new board is $200 and they would install for free.

In the end, I got them to agree to replace the board for free, give me a 3 year service contract, 3 year labor warranty, and the 10 year part warranty that Lennox offered. Total cost ended up as $3300 for a new compressor, line set, coil, electric service relocation. Also $200 for the board.

What's your opinion?

Comments (14)