SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom09

Returned GE Profile range, chose another, need OTR mico! Help!

mom09
14 years ago

Hi all, I posted a while back about being very disappointed in a GE Profile range that I bought. Just the heat alone, was unbearable (for me anyway). I didn't use the oven, just tested it several times, the vents under the panel felt like a heater blowing into the kitchen. I was lucky enough that I could return it, so I bought another gas range. I have a budget so I did not want to go over a certain price. So, I bought a Model#77543 Kenmore Elite Stainless Steel 30 in. Freestanding Gas Range (Natural Gas Only) I know, I know but I looked and looked. The one I bought seemed like it had the features I wanted. It does have a convection oven, one dual burner, I can take off the burner heads, to clean them and at the same time, the area around the burners are not opened to where if there's a boil over or whatever, the food can't drop down into the stove. The GE, Profile had sealed burners but when I took off the burners, there was about an inch gap (all around each burner), in other words, even though it was called a sealed burner, . it DID have that 1 inch gap all around.

So, I'm going to have to get used to the heat coming from the vents, as I found out most new ranges have this feature. Coming from an old 30 yr old Magic Chef, that didn't throw out that kind of heat, this one feature on the new ranges really threw me off.

Anyway, after that long story, I need to install an over the range microwave. Its going to have to be installed by a carpenter because I have a small cabinet on top of the range hood, so the small cabinets (where I store cookbooks) will have to be removed or made smaller so the microwave will have the 18" clearance, from range top to bottom of micrrowave. Also needs to have a power ventless system, since I don't have a vented system. And its just too problematic, at this time, to have a venting to the outside.

I don't think I need another convection feature in the new microwave, since the stove have one. At the same time I don't want a really cheapie, that I will have to replace in a year or two.

Which ventless OTR microwaves are you all partial to, which brands have you had luck with, etc, etc.

I really would love to hear your ideas! Thanks!

Comments (3)