SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carecooks_gw

I just want to make roasted potatoes in my Miele Speed Oven

carecooks
13 years ago

My original plan was to get a regular Masterchef Miele Double Oven and a Bluestar cooktop. On a trip to Los Angeles I visited the Miele Store in Beverly Hills. I brought along some dishes to try in the Optima dishwasher and I brought my beloved 18 x 13 half sheet pans (I do a lot of roasted vegetables on them) to try in the ovens for size. The guy there told me a bit about the speed oven and I said that I didn't think that my pans would fit and I wasn't even sure that I wanted a speed oven. He took the rack out of the oven and lo and behold the lip of my pans just fit on the sides.

I came home and was in the process of getting estimates from two contractors. They both said that the double oven was too big for the space that I was thinking about. I realized that I could switch to the Bluestar range with a gas oven and put a speed oven where the double ovens were going to go and that size-wise it would work better. I read many reviews here on GW with folks raving about their Miele Speed Ovens and I thought that it would be great to have a small oven for roasting, baking and broiling. I didn't even think about the "speed" part.

Now I've got the oven in and I wanted to roast some cut-up yukon gold potatoes. I usually parboil them, then add herbs, garlic and oil and roast them at 425º. I wanted to turn the oven to 425º. How the heck do I do it? Do I choose Bake, Bake Surround, Convection Bake or Roast? Do I change the default settings for one of those? After reading the directions, I wasn't sure if I should actually slide my half sheet pans into the oven without using a rack. It says don't use thin, shiny pans. My half sheet pans are fairly thick, dull aluminum but what kind of pans are they talking about? Will I damage the oven if I don't use their rack for general baking and roasting? I know that I can't use them with the microwave.

Do I have to use their glass sheet pan for things? Can I use my own cake pans and porcelain casseroles? It just seems so complicated.

I don't really care that much about "speed" but I figure that I should get the most out of this oven. So what are the best things to speed cook?

By the way, I ended doing the potatoes in my Bluestar and they came out perfect, but I still would like to know how to use the Miele.

Comments (11)