SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rococogurl

Which Brands Best with Power Outages?

rococogurl
10 years ago

We have a whole house surge protector due to power outages, mainly during hurricanes or heavy rain or snow storms.

However, our 10 y.o. Viking built in 36" top mount fully integrated fridge-freezer malfunctions after each outage with a door alarm, but not immediately. It seems to take it a day or so.

Now the freezer isn't fully freezing and ice maker not fully functioning. It has made a few cubes so I don't think it's mechanical. Suspect (other ideas welcome) it's the controller board. That was replaced about 6 years ago, however.

The fridge needs repair. Even with an expensive repair there is a gigantic difference in cost for replacement since I have an opening: 84x36x24". Need to see what tech says.

Meanwhile, I did some research and believe I could switch out to Sub Zero, either BI36 UG with Glass Door -- gorgeous but crazy expensive -- or BI36 UFD French Door -- practical for location but also crazy expensive. Thermador Freedom makes a bottom mount that takes panels, a nice alternative to same style I now have with SS front. Liebherr (with a 84" kit) looks possible. I've had a Liebherr before and liked it but that was in the city with no outages.

The astronomical SZ prices notwithstanding, does anyone know how these do with outages? I have other Miele appliances which have not been affected so I'm looking for that line of defense. Would Thermador meet that due to similar mfg?

Ideally, I'd go with Miele fridge (also crazy expensive) but it requires a 25" deep minimum cabinet and my cabinet is only 24". The Miele door also is very thick (DD2 has one).

Is SZ a good bet? Or would one of the other brands withstand better?

This post was edited by rococogurl on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 12:27

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21