SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dixiebug

Power Outages

dixiebug
9 years ago

I am new to the forum, although I have been registered since 2009. I have grown AVs for over 30 years off and on. I just started growing again these last 8 months or so. I have gone purchase happy on eBay, Violet Barn and Lyndon Lions and now have quite a large collection. I am very fond of minis, the smaller the better. My goal is to acquire every micro mini. I do have probably a dozen standards leaves and a couple young plants.

Anyway, the subject of my post. Three years ago we had a major snow and power outage for four days right before Thanksgiving. We ourselves nearly froze to death. I can only imagine the shape my AVs would be in if, I should say when, it happens again. How do I prepare for such a thing? What can I do to save my violets?

It's been warm this year, in the 50s, but it doesn't just take snow to knock our power out. Wind storms will do it as well. We are very rural where we live and it always takes at least 24 hours to get the power back on when there is a major outage.

We have a wood stove insert downstairs and just a regular fireplace upstairs. My daughter and son in law live downstairs. I have been wondering about wrapping the AV stands with plastic, but I am not sure what I would use as a heat source. We do have a generator.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Just a little paranoid,
Dixie

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County