SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prinesurf_gw

finish edge of stone tile? options / problems

prinesurf
15 years ago

Hello

I have skimmed through this forum and I haven't found the exact answer to my questions, and I was hoping you all can help. I see a few options but wanted to know if there are more ideas or some feedback to my options.

Background:

fully tiled shower (ceiling, wall floor), tub deck and floor in 18 x 18 honed travertine.

design is very modern... spa-like, clean lines. Use of glass mosiacs as backsplash accents and chrome fixtures

Photo explained:

drywalled bathroom and shower area and eventual tub deck area (tub meets that 24" wall)

all trim you see will be painted white. That tall nook will hold a deeply stained cherry linen cabinet, the front of the tub deck will have the same cherry wood panel. Disregard the nook beyond the shower.

Main problem:

how do deal with the exposed edges of tiles where the tile meets drywall at 90 angle.

1) trim opening of shower in solid surface pieces of 3/4" travertine. Drawback this is pricey at $65sf + install

2a) have edges of travertine finished and polished. drawback, you see each one of the grout joints between the tiles.

2b) have edges of travertine bullnosed, finished and polished. drawback, you see each one of the grout joints between the tiles, bullnosing isn't as "clean-lined" as I want.

3) finish edge with very small chrome edge.

not an option:

1) actual travertine bullnose pieces (too classical looking)

2) bordering out the whole shower in more tile.

Extra problem

How to finish off the space that is created between where tile and the drywall meet at 90degrees.

1) should drywall have a finished corner "edge" (those metal edges they use when making corners, spackled, of course) then the space is filled with caulk and painted the wall color?

2) I have no other idea! a wood trim is not an option unless I can really be convinced it goes with the design I'm doing

Extra extra problem!

1) do I use the floor tiles on the wall like a baseboard, all around the bathroom?

2) how to finish top edge of the glass mosiacs that I will be surrounding the tub with? they are quite thin (less than the thickness of the travertine) so if the thinset is built-up (to match height of stone) then there is a sizeable gap, and if you fill this with same grout-colored caulk, I think it will look unfinished (see every tiny white grout line)

photo looking into bathroom vanities will be on left and right

[url=http://imageshack.us][img=http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/5549/dscn0317kf2.jpg][/url]

Comments (4)