SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaypeakay

subway tile & chair rail - how to finish the edges??

kaypeakay
16 years ago

I have AO 3" x 6" subway tiles from Lowe's for the master bathroom shower walls. I also have the decorative "pencil" tile (1/2" x 6") and chair rail (2" x 6"), to use on the top of the tile for a crowning border at the top. I am confused, though :(

Here's why:

We have a walk in shower, with no door, just a doorway - think of a 5' x 5' box with an opening for the door.

The chair rail piece has no "corner" or anything to make it ease down onto the wall, and not show a gaping hole/opening from the side. Also, the subway tiles do not appear to come in a bullnose variety. So how do you get a nice edge, when the tile isn't butting up to a wall but rather is just "ending" on a wall if there's no bullnose?

Also - We have shower niches. I searched and found some threads showing a couple of shower niches, but are there any more? Or, better yet, any using subways? We were thinking of using 6" x 6" bullnose tiles and cutting them in half to use on the recessed shelf/niche. Perhoas I should do that for the "open" edges as well. We were also thinking of cutting a 45 degree angle in the chair rail and then cutting a small butt end piece from the chair rail to insert, (like how some trim is done so the cut edge is never shown).

Is there an easier solution?

Thank you for any tile guidance on this.

kpk

Comments (13)