SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
basilisk_gw

Complete kitchen reno - appliance feedback

basilisk
14 years ago

My wife and I are going to completely gut and remodel our kitchen this year, including replacing all the appliances, cabinets, and taking down a load-bearing wall (with engineering help) to open up the space. WeÂre looking for a little feedback on some appliances weÂre looking at, and suggestions for others.

The appliances where we actually have a good idea of what we want are the refrigerator and dishwasher. We prefer they both come from the same manufacturer because they are very likely going to be right beside each other, so we want them to match.

Refrigerator: LG LFC25770ST 25cf French door refrigerator

Dishwasher: LG LDF8922ST or LDF9932ST

The alternates were the KitchenAid KBFS25EVMS and KUDE60FVSS. We considered a Bosch SHE68E15UC since it was so completely quiet, but the wife likes the internals of the LG better, and Bosch doesnÂt make a fridge we like (French door, no dispensers in the door).

IÂve read around and seen that some people have concerns with LG fridges. I assume by now theyÂve fixed the lightbulb control board by now. Even if they didnÂt, I think I can get away with using lower wattage bulbs or LED discrete bulbs in there (I really wish they had LED lighting in there, but that seems to be reserved for their two-freezer drawer models).

We also need a vent hood and cooking appliances. I personally am kind of leaning towards a 36" gas cooktop and getting electric convection wall oven(s), but we could also live with a slide-in duel-fuel range and perhaps a second wall oven. I would like this set of appliances to match together, but I can certainly live with a vent hood thatÂs different from the cooking appliances. To put things into context, I currently have an Amana 30" all-gas range with 9000 BTU burners, which I find incredibly underpowered for what I cook (I do a lot of Chinese cooking).

For ranges been steered towards KitchenAid (KDRS807SS and KDSS907SS 30" dual-fuel ranges), Capital 36" GSRC3* series all-gas ranges (wok option is 30,000 BTU!), Porter & Charles dual-fuel FEG90 (16,000 BTU wok burner, oblong griddle burner), and Electrolux E36DF76GPS 36" dual-fuel range (18,000 BTU w/wok ring, griddle & grill). That being said, we also have choice of Thermador, LG, EuroLine (AEG/Faber/Liebherr), Heartland, Northland, and the other standard consumer brands. We donÂt have Wolf, Bluestar, Viking, and some other high-end brands available to us.

We donÂt have any leads on cooktops or wall-ovens yet. From a range hood point of view, I read Vent-A-Hood is considered to be very good. I like the Faber range hoods (~600 cfm). If the Vent-A-Hoods are significantly better, I would go out of my way to get one. WeÂre also looking at Cyclone hoods (550 cfm). I need the range hood to be quiet, as I entertain while cooking a lot and donÂt want the noise to be disruptive.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Comments (3)