SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hudsonleigh_gw

In search of 1950's grey tiles (cheap). Ideas?

hudsonleigh
13 years ago

Okay, so I have this bathroom that was added to my house in 1980, and it has a grey acrylic(?) shower surround. And a grey toilet, and a grey laminate vanity, and black floor tiles, but all that's beside the point! Anyway, I am updating this bath by force because a roof leak caused damage to the wallpaper (not the mention the sheetrock), which I spent last weekend removing. I would like to tile the area from the top of the shower surround to the ceiling, and I was hoping to just walk into HD and find some cheapo grey tiles & slap 'em up there and be done with it. But it doesn't come so easily.....apparently the basic grey nowadays is much more brownish, whereas mine are a more true grey, leaning a little toward the blue spectrum. Very much like the 1950's grey tiles you used to see everywhere (and that I had in a previous bath).

All of which is to say, does anyone have a source for that kind of grey tile? I can use 4x4, 3x6, 2x6, almost any size, really...I can always cut them down if necessary. I went to Daltile and AO, but there's are like $5/foot, and not quite the right color at that, and I was really hoping to be able to update this bath for only a couple hundred bucks (I also need an new countertop & faucet, so my budget is tight).

Thanks for your help!

Comments (2)