SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjaero19473

Water heater sizing

rjaero19473
13 years ago

My wife and I are building a house and need two water heaters. The basement is going to be a finished suite for my mother -in-law and we wanted to get a separate tank for her. We are first time builders, so we're not sure what size tank we should get. My mother-in-law likes to take long hot showers, between 30 and 40 minutes, so we need something to handle that. My wife and I need a heater that can support us taking showers at the same time. Our new shower will also have a double shower head, so it'll consume more water. I don't want tanks that are too big so that we waste exctra energy heating unused water, but i also don't want one too small. it wouldn't be a bad thing if we had to cut down on our shower times a bit, but I don't want to get stuck with a 15 minute shower limit, otherwise I'll have a very unhappy wife. Right now we have a 50 gallon Bradford White electric unit that works fine. I was thinking a 40-gallon for my mother-in-law and a 50 or 60 gallon for us. We don't have any kids yet, but plan to in a few years. Should we go ahead and get a bigger unit now in preparation, or worry about that when the time comes. Also, do you have any suggestions for good quality, efficient, electric units that are reasonably priced? I'm looking at AO Smith and Bradford White. Thanks for all your help!

Bob

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville