SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_73

Water heater sizing

mike_73
11 years ago

I am looking at options for replacing an 18 year old AO smith 40 gallon gas before there are problems.

Here is the situation the house is a two family that was many years ago one large home. The current heater serves both units. One is a three bed one bath the other a two bed one bath unit. Both units have a dishwasher and there is a washer/dryer hookup in the basement for each but the tenant in the 3 bedroom does not have a washer but I have an HE washer
As it is now the water temp is pretty hot and we have had enough hot water there was once when I think they were bathing kids while I was taking a shower that it seemed like my shower could have been hotter but was not cold.

I would like to get two heaters and have the renters pay there own water heating but not sure the cost of re piping the gas and water for two is going to be a worth while investment. Or even what it will cost.

So if I stay with one heater what size is enough? I was looking at Bradford white they have a 65 gallon extra recovery energy saver and a 55 gallon high performance energy saver that claims to put out 200 gal first hour not sure of pricing I have someone looking it up for me. Or I could go to lowes and get a 50 gal whirlpool gas

What do you all think the best options are for me.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Comments (8)