SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mosleaffair

Turning 1 full bath into 2 small baths-please help!

Tom Damratoski
15 years ago

This is my first post, but I'm a long time reader. Wanted to thank everyone for all their good info, in particular pros like Bill and Mongo who take the time to help us make good choices.

Now to my first call for help! We live in turn of century 1.5 bath, 3 bdrm house. Desparately need to remodel upstairs bath. We have 2 choices-

1. Gut and remodel "as is" with minor changes to a ~9 X 6 full bath-bath has wasteful design, with mini hallway.

2. Spend about $15-20 K additional to #1, move walls , and create 2 ~ 5.5 X 6.5 ft baths. 1 bath would be simple shower/tub combo to hall, other is 42" neo angle shower stall (Master), connected to largest bedroom. Stealing any more space is not possible.

We're OK now with single bath for DW, and 2 girls, but as they move beyond toddler years, I think we'll need 2 baths.

We don't mind small baths....but is this a bad idea from investment perspective? Seems to me it is worth additional $$ to have 2.5 rather than 1.5 baths for resale. All 3 contractors like idea of 2 rooms, as does my real estate agent, but architecht thought it might be squeezing too much into our floor plan, especially with "home spa's" being more the rage.

Question 1- should I make the plunge to the separate bathrooms, or stick with 1 full bath, and keep my money in my bank account?

Question 2- 42" neo angle seems to create optimal layout....but it seems only way to get clean looking doors is a $3K custom-measured glass doors, with top frame...is there anyway to do a similar-sized shower doorless? Or, is there a non-custom solution that performs well, but doesn't look like Star Trek. I'm already decided on pan floor (sorry Bill, I like clean/seamless shower floors)

Thank you in advance for your help...

Comments (17)