SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

cutting master bedroom to 13 x16? plans attached

bridget helm
10 years ago

We need to cut down our square footage. The front room on the left is a study/guest room, so it does not need to be 13x13. We really don't need it to be that big. But in order to not mess up the exterior elevation, if we cut that room, we have to cut all the way across the front. So I figured we could cut 1 foot in the study, push the entrance into the foyer a foot and cut the master bedroom a foot. The only problem with this is that it will make the master bedroom's interior dimensions 13x16 rather than 14x16. We have a queen bed, so that's not really a problem for us. We plan on staying in this house for quite some time - at least 10 years, but it's smart to always consider resale. Is 13x16 too small for a master bedroom? The square footage is plenty for this neighborhood (narrow lots), but the 13 might be tight??

I attached the floorplan as best as I could. You have to rotate it right to look at it head on. The little tiled area is the entrance that opens to foyer. On the left of entrance is the study/guest that is much bigger than needed and to the right of the entrance is the master bedroom.

One other thing we could do is cut down the master bathroom and closet by a foot, but then that area seems to small....I think??

The master closet would become 6x13 rather than 6x14 and the master bathroom would become 9'6" by 13 rather than 9'6" by 14. Would that be too small??

Comments (22)