SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

Temperature questions about fridge?

marvelousmarvin
9 years ago

With all these fancy gadgets and features in today's fridges, its almost like we've lost sight that fridges main function should be about keeping the food cold at a certain temperature.

But, after I read this fridge review, I'm a bit confused about that now:

http://refrigerators.reviewed.com/content/whirlpool-wrs325fdam-refrigerator-review/science-page

The review is pretty enthusiastic, and its titled, "A great fridge, and a great value."

It praises how the fridge remains consistent over time, where it fluctuated less than .5 degrees F.

But, then, it also states, "Not even a quality side-by-side like this Whirlpool can give us perfectly consistent temperatures from top to bottom...Average temperatures were a chilly 35.41 degrees F at the top, an almost-perfect 37.18 degrees F in the middle, and a just-right-for-produce 38.91 degrees F at the bottom."

But, isn't a pretty large variation in temperature in a fridge and thus a red flag? Depending on the location, you might think your food is safe when the rest of the food might be stored at an unsafe temperature.

More concerning, the review discovers that "the freezer, though, hovered a little over 9 degrees Fmuch warmer than we wanted" which should have ideally been 0 degrees.

But, the reviewer says that's not really an issue because you can solve it because "the fridge and freezer have separate thermostats. The dials use a scale running from cold to colder; we tested the fridge at its recommended setting, marked with a small dot. For optimal chilling, you'll want to turn down the dial for the freezer, checking the results with an external thermometer until it's just right."

My question is with fridges like this is if you adjust the freezer temperature to lower like that, won't that lower the temperature of the fridge too to a temperature too low?

Don't you really need a fridge with dual compressors or dual evaporators to really adjust the temperatures of the fridge and freezer separately and precisely without one affecting the other?

This post was edited by marvelousmarvin on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 5:53

Comments (8)