SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Question about root growth, temperature, and winter coming

bonechickchris
10 years ago

Hi all,
I had a few questions about citrus root growth.

First, I know that most citrus will halt root growth with temps under 50F.

I have a greenhouse that my citrus stay in during the winter (and most of the year). During the winter, my general minimum temps at night could go down to 40F, although on a few rare nights in deep of winter, it may go down to the high 30's but as of this date I have had no ill issues with them getting that cold. They seem to handle it just fine.
Now during the morning and all afternoon, until sundown, temps in the greenhouse are usually in the 70's and 80's everyday, unless the skies are dark, but even then, it is still in the 60's atleast, somedays even into the 90's.

So my question is, with my citrus being in temps very warm for about 2/3rds of the day, can roots grow during that time? Or because it does reach below 50F at night, does that stop root growth altogether throguh the winter?

My main reason for asking is because I did a large amount of transplanting on several of my citrus at the end of the summer, into 5:1:1, but for some reason, my mix stayed too wet and several of my trees suffered root damage/rot.

I have since transplanted most of them into Fafard 52 heavy weight mix along with some extra coarse perlite just to make sure they will drain well.

So, being so late in the season I was wondering if there was still enough time for them to get some new root growth before winter gets here and less light is available.

Also, do any of you have any suggestions on how to get some quick growth?
I do have heat mats but cannot use them until I get another electrical socket installed outside, which I hope will be soon.

I am just hoping there was not too much damage done and want them to star some new rot growth fast. Thanks! Christy

Comments (9)