SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lotodig

Want to share w/you that I was able to fix a virus problem......

lotodig
15 years ago

because of the help and information given here on this forum.

First to let you know what I am working with-

I have installed and use on my computer.....

AVG8.0

SuperantiSpyware

Malwarebytes'

Spyware Blaster

CCleaner

I have a HP Pavillion, Vista,Ultimate

Here's what happened......I started getting pop ups that I had a security problem...well I checked everything I could think of and didn't find anything. Did all the up dates on the security programs listed above but still got the warnings.

Sure enough, today I got another pop-up security warning and a whole screen with a list of virus that were on my computer (don't remember where the warning came from) but there were a lot of viruses on the list.

So to make a long story short, I tried to up date AVG and it wouldn't update.......got to looking and noticed that the last scan was run on 1/30/09 !!! So in that case I ran a full scan and got rid of about 15 viruses and then tried the up date again, but it still wouldn't take. But, from the advice found on one of the posts I researched I remembered one of you genius guys and/or gals telling someone to try double clicking on the update bar brought up from the tray down by the clock. It worked!! Ran another full scan and got rid of a few more viruses.

Next I went into the system to try and find out why AVG had quit running on automatic every night a 3 a.m.

Then I remembered that about the time AVG had quit scanning (1/30/09) I had changed the setting on my computer because it wouldn't stay in sleep mode.....AH HA!! that was it...

I went back to AVG and checked the schedule settings and the box that would let AVG interrupt the sleep (low power) mode to scan at 3 a.m. was not checked.

So now all is well and I am right proud of myself. I wanted to share all of this and thank all you guys/gals that advise and help us computer morons. A year or so ago when I first started reading this forum I was at a total loss on how to go about finding anything like that. I'm still no whiz but I do have more confidence.

So again,THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all of you that give you time and knowledge to help folks like me....

Comments (3)